Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 10

Notices

Windows 10 Problem solving for the Windows 10 Operating System.

Topic Tools
Old November 1st, 2019, 01:05 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Intermittent loss of internet connection

Hi i am testing out a used Lonovo G560 laptop on Win 10 using a wireless internet connection and it quite often loses this connection. I then ran the Windows network check and it came up with " The default gateway is not available". After running the fix-it section all is ok for a while then off it goes again. This connection break can occur at any time and is a pain because apart from this i am quite happy with this laptop. Could anyone please suggest what might be causing this. Thank you.
Old November 2nd, 2019, 02:28 PM

Hard to say at this point. Is the notebook fully updated? Including the network adapter drivers?

Range is big factor. So are the number of barriers (walls, floors, ceilings) between the notebook and the WAP (wireless access point - typically integrated with router). The construction of those barriers (concrete block, wallboard, wood or metal studs), and thickness of those barriers. Even the content of those barriers (metal pipes, wires) can make a difference.

Interference from other nearby electronics like TVs, microwave ovens, cell towers can affect reception as can large metal surfaces like the sides of refrigerators or file cabinets.

Simply moving the WAP to a higher and central location may help. If it has external antennas, moving them about. If it does not have external antennas, just turning the WAP 90° may help.

Do other computers connect fine? Are you in a crowded wifi neighborhood, like in or near a large apartment complex? If so, you might have to change wifi channels in your WAP.

You may have to switch to a different wifi adapter. I recommend one like this. Note it has an external antennas that you can either adjust their orientation when connected directly to your notebook, or with a USB cable, move the antenna to a higher location with its small base. USB 3.0, 802.11ac, and dual band, gives you the most flexibility and future proofing.
Old November 2nd, 2019, 05:38 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Thanks Digerati-- The router is only 6feet away in next room through a brick wall. I think the problem is with this laptop as i dont have any issues with other laptops i've used. Is it much of a job to replace the wireless adapter as this seems to get mentioned quite often when troubleshooting the problem.
Old November 2nd, 2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Is it much of a job to replace the wireless adapter as this seems to get mentioned quite often when troubleshooting the problem.
No. It is simple. And you are physically replacing it. Just go into device manager and disable your existing one. Then plug in the new one and Windows should see it and configure it for use.
Old November 2nd, 2019, 05:55 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
Have you thought about buying a USB wi-fi adapter?