Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old July 5th, 2008, 11:49 PM

Hoping for some help here

A few days ago my computer stopped opening windows and just sits on the load screen and does nothing else. I tried my Alienware Respawn disk, which worked the previous time I used it, but this time when the completion bar comes up so does an error saying there was a *result sector error, result = 1*. Me not being the big computer guy had no idea what this meant so I contacted Alienware support by email and I received a message saying the disk was defective and that I should use my Windows recovery disk instead. After I started following their guide to do this, I got to only step two before I hit another snag. After allowing windows to start loading things like the guide told me to, I reach a point where the loading process appears to stop and sits on this statement (Examing 238473 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on nvatabus...), I assumed it meant it had to look over my hard drive before it could continue but upon further inspection of the guide it says this loading should only take a few minutes.....the longest I let it sit was 2.5 hours. I'm waiting for another email from Alienware but it's been awhile since they responded. Any help that someone could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Old July 6th, 2008, 11:31 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
I know it's a bit basic but are you able to load windows in safe mode? (F8 at startup)
Old July 6th, 2008, 11:36 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
if you know the manufacturer of harddrive, go to their website and download their harddrive diagnosis utility to see if your harddrive might be going bad.
Old July 6th, 2008, 03:41 PM

Nah I can't even get it into safe mode, or any of the other options for that matter (safe mode, safe mode with prompt, last good config, etc) it still jsut sits on the load screen
I'll try the harddrive suggestion and let you know if I find anything.
Old July 9th, 2008, 10:14 PM

I tried the hard drive thing but it says save the diagnosis file to a floppy disk, unfortunately I don't have a floppy drive on my computer..so I'm back to square one again. I'm still talking to Alienware support people but I think they're even running out of ideas because now they're just telling me to clean things around my hard drive. Which sucks because every email I send back saying their idea didn't work is wasted because I have to wait another 2-3 days for a response back.