Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old February 13th, 2008, 01:17 AM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Corrupt windows\system32\config\system file

Just thinking to myself the other day how troublefree this windows XP is and how well my system is performing. Thinking my dilligence to Spybot and Adaware pays off.

But then, I leave for a few days on business and my wife calls in a panic. The computer won't boot up. Windows says the C:\Windows\System32\Config\System file is corrupt and I should run Repair.

I try the repair thing with no luck. Why not just reinstall windows and everything will be better I ask myself. So I did. The reinstall did not delete my files, however all my programs are invisible. They are all on the drive in the program files, however Windows doesn't like any of them. I am having to reinstall all my programs too.

I am really baffled. I have done this before with good results. Did I do a bad thing? Am I trying to go where I should not go? I am not a computer pro, but this has got me baffled.

Any advise would be extremely helpful. I am running Windows XP. After the reinstall, I updated everything including service pack 2. Thanks for looking, thanks for your time!
Old February 16th, 2008, 12:37 AM

O/S: Windows XP Home
cant help you, oh yea, I posted. Please Help, I am on a sinking ship. Ready to format, clean install.
Old February 16th, 2008, 01:23 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Hi pgjames,

The best advice that I can give you is for the original problem that occurred, and that is to not do a repair install but to follow the instructions in this MSKB article, so long as the operating system was not pre-installed by the computer manufacturer:
How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting
I realize that that doesn't help you with the problem that you are currently experiencing, but the only remedy for that is what you already stated, "I am having to reinstall all my programs too". When you performed that reinstall, all the backup copies of the registry files (mentioned in the MSKB article linked above) were replaced and previous System Restore points were wiped out, so there's not really any other option other than to reinstall the programs that were previously installed.