Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old September 7th, 2007, 10:10 AM

Cool Boot Trouble!

G'day I recently purchased an ASUS P5SD2-X motherboard and an atx tower to build a new computer. i have ddr2 2gb of Ram Kingston, and a dual core processor Intel, using 80gb Harddrive and samsung dvd rom burner with a 7200gs pci Express graphics Card, have connected everything as suppose to following directions, led lights are in place as directed, green light comes on only on the motherboard to say it's getting power, dvd drive works harddrive is running, fans to processor and internal fan and power supply are all working, but i can't boot the computer, it will not come on the monitor, green light at front of computer doesn't come on either, but the red led does come on, have used 3 different power supplies no difference! changed video card no difference, removed ram and restored ram 1 at a time made no difference, i took the motherboard back out of computer onto cardboard and power supply out of computer, but when i tried to power up the board i couldn't get the power supply to work properly although the green light on the motherboard did come on, no fans worked! as soon as i put the motherboard back into atx tower with power supply everything worked again, excep't still can't boot and front green led still won't come on! do you have any idea how i can overcome this problem, keep in mind everything i'm using is brandnew much appreciate any help you can give regards zoidberg!
Old September 7th, 2007, 10:35 AM

Any beeps or sounds from the MBO?
Old September 7th, 2007, 11:18 AM

no actually there isn't, just the sound of fans and harddrive starting up!
Old September 7th, 2007, 04:20 PM
CTH Subscriber

Disconnnect the harddrives and optical drives, remove the video card and then power up, you should then get a beep indicating it can't find the video card. If you get no beeps, check under the motherboard that you have placed the brass standoffs in the case in those holes only associated with the holes in the motherboard. If one is off and or none are installed, the motherboard is shorting out.
Old September 8th, 2007, 01:33 AM

okay i'll try that! by the way i don't have any brass standoffs the tower came with metal rises [like little metal hills pertruding out of the case when i put the motherboard on these metalrises it lines up perfectly with the back of the atx tower but if i use the plastic rises between the board and metal hills then the board sits up to high and won't line up with anything, so i assume that the metal or aliminium rises is designed to be used directly to the motherboard is this correct? i never had any brass standoffs come with the tower or motherboard, and it never mentioned them in the motherboard install instructions book!
Old September 8th, 2007, 02:18 AM
CTH Subscriber

You wouldn't need brass standoffs with risers already in the case. My suggestion was for those cases that don't have the built in risers.
Old September 8th, 2007, 11:59 AM

Okay I did exacly as you told me, disconnect all drives and video card but no difference, fans still run on cpu and internal fan works, green light comes on motherboard but no sounds no beeping nothing, and still no green led lights on the front of case, any other suggestions thank you!
Old September 8th, 2007, 06:09 PM
CTH Subscriber

Are all cabling hooked up properly? With the correct ATX and 12V?
I hate to say it but it sounds like you have a dead motherboard. When you removed the video card and got no beeps, that's a sign the motherboard is dead.

You do have a speaker either on the motherboard or attached to the case, connected?
Old September 9th, 2007, 02:14 AM

Thanks so much for your help, i'm afraid your right it has to be a dead motherboard, very frustrating you buy a brand new board and they give you a faulty one! I'll send it back and start again thanks.
Old September 9th, 2007, 03:48 AM
CTH Subscriber

Well, had you asked me first, I would have told you not to buy Asus now. They used to be a good brand but the last year they've been crap. I stick with Gigabyte and have no problems, ever.
Old September 9th, 2007, 04:26 AM

Thanks for the advice! i think i'll stick to Gigabyte to as that was what i originally ordered, and they sent me a replacement instead Asus, so they can take it back, and send me what i originally ordered GIGABYTE thanks again!
Old September 9th, 2007, 04:41 AM
CTH Subscriber

Well, I've never heard of an online store sending a replacement for one motherboard in a different brand. Wonder why they did that, it isn't like Gigabyte's boards are hard to keep stocked.....well, it might be since they are such good boards.