Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Malware Removal

Notices

Malware Removal Discussion about Trojans, viruses, hoaxes, firewalls, spyware, and general Security issues. If you suspect your PC is infected with a virus, trojan or spyware app please include any supporting documentation or logs

Topic Tools
Old July 17th, 2006, 07:27 PM

Something screwed up my pc, and I NEED HELP

Well, to be honest I don't really know if this is the right place to post this, because I don't know what is wrong. When I turn on my pc, everything seems to go fine, until I try to log onto my account. After a few seconds, an automatic shutdown message comes up, saying that the Remote Procedure Call service, or RPC, terminated unexpectedly. Sometimes, but only rarely, it also says that the C:/windows/system 32/Isass.exe terminated unexpectedly. It gives me 1 minute until it shuts off. I think it might be some virus, or worm. If anyone knows what it might be, please help. Thank you.
Old July 17th, 2006, 11:24 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Howdy DeCaffe,

Welcome to CTH. You don't mention what operating system you have there, but the info indicates XP so we'll assume on that. I'll need to take a look at what all is loaded there before suggestion any further action.

To keep the automatic shutdowns from interfering with steps, please do the following.

1.Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

2.Click the Advanced tab.

3.Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings to open the Startup and Recovery dialog box.

4.Clear the Automatically restart check box, and click OK the necessary number of times.

And reboot.

You say the shutdown occurs when you logon to your account, but I don't know what account you are referring to. I will post here some scans I need you to run, and you can either download the file directly to the problem system, or if the account issue is your net access, download them to another computer and transfer the information using a floppy or some other medium.

Please download HijackThis from Here. Then click on the downloaded file, and select Do a system scan and save logfile. Use copy/paste and post that log back here for review.

Also go Here and download Silent Runners to your desktop. Run it, and post back here the log it creates. If your AV queries the script, allow it to run. It's not malicious. It will create a file named Startup Programs, and will notify when the scan is complete. Copy the log from the Startup Programs file back here. You can use separate posts here if needed.
Old July 18th, 2006, 01:06 AM

Sorry, but the account that I meant was my windows account. My dad and I both have one, and the same thing happens to both of us. The desktop background comes up, then after a few seconds, the automatic restart message comes. All desktop icons don't normally show up until about 36 seconds left, and the toolbar at the bottom doesnt show up period. I tried unchecking the automatic restart box like you said, but I restarted several times, and it automatically shuts down still. I went in and checked, and the box for Startup and Recovery is clear like it is supposed to be.
Old July 18th, 2006, 03:49 AM

Try booting into Safe Mode. At startup tap the F8 key and select Safe Mode from the menu. If you can, Safe Mode with Networking so you can follow through with the processes here as well.
Old July 25th, 2006, 01:43 AM

Sorry Ive taken so long to reply, but I havent had any computer to , it says it can't find the net server. I used another computer and put the use for a while. I managed to get my hands on a laptop. I tried doing everything in safe mode with networking, but for some reason the internet doesn't work. I put HijackThis on a cd, but right before it finished installing, it came up with an error message saying that HijackThis cannot finish in safe mode. I tried on my regular account, but there wasn't enought time.
Old July 25th, 2006, 02:53 PM

We'll need to get some diagnostic results back here to work with. Boot into normal mode on the computer, and immediately go to Start - Run, type services.msc (and Enter). Locate and double click on the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) (only this - do not do anything with the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator that is also listed there). If Started click the Stop button, then use the drop down to change the startup to disabled (and Apply/OK). See if this allows you to then do the scans and post back results here.