Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > General > Open Discussion

Notices

Open Discussion A place to chat with other members about non-technical related topics

Topic Tools
Old December 15th, 2006, 09:39 PM
Rampant Rabbit

Grrrrrrr *UK Car Owners*

This is going to affect every one of us in one way or another, and most of us directly, so please take the time to read it and go online to sign the petition.

The government's proposal to introduce road pricing will mean you having to purchase a tracking device for your car and paying a monthly bill to use it.

The tracking device will cost about £200 and in a recent study by the BBC, the lowest monthly bill was £28 for a rural florist and £194 for a delivery driver.

A non working Mum who used the car to take the kids to school paid £86 in one month.

On top of this massive increase in tax, you will be tracked. Somebody will know where you are at all times.

They will also know how fast you have been going, so even if you accidentally creep over a speed limit you can expect a NIP with your monthly bill.

If you care about our freedoms and stopping the constant bashing of the car driver, please sign the petition on No 10's new website http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/traveltax/
Old December 15th, 2006, 09:46 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Geez, how

You guys should get a new government.
Old December 15th, 2006, 09:52 PM

O/S: MacOS
Thats gross and utterly ridiculous.....how can they force people to spend £200 they might not have on a device they more than likely dont want? There would be a revolution LOL! You could get a nice flat screen tv or a hard drive dvd recorder for that sort of money But Ill do the petition if it helps
Old December 15th, 2006, 11:44 PM
Dw i ddim yn hoffi eira

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by dammit View Post
A non working Mum who used the car to take the kids to school paid £86 in one month.
Yes and it's highly likely she's too tired to walk the kids there. Even though it's only 1/2 a mile away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammit View Post
On top of this massive increase in tax, you will be tracked. Somebody will know where you are at all times.
Personally I don't have a problem with this. I have nothing to hide. Especially when the safety of my kids are involved.

Saying that......

I WILL sign the petition for the other reasons stated and probably for more besides. I have been Mr Double Standards as of late anyway.
Old December 16th, 2006, 12:31 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
Oh dash it, I'll have to get the footmen to dust of the sedan chair now!

don't worry about big bro, he knows all about my movements from my mobile phone. If he's intercepting it, he'll need therapy after reading all the texts between me and the apprentice Cannuck!
Old December 16th, 2006, 01:29 AM
Banned

Signed it under the expatriate status. Don't need this coming to America, we already got enough of your legal system bogging down the country.
Old December 16th, 2006, 03:07 PM
CTH Subscriber

It's alright for you mate, self, Beanie, Dohray etc are legally allowed to be shot if seen within the city walls of Chester after midnight, which is a bit of a bugger, cause as some of our pedants might point out, the WHOLE DAY is after midnight.
Old December 16th, 2006, 08:03 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
california been trying to do that for years.
Old December 16th, 2006, 08:14 PM
CTH Subscriber

shoot Welshmen or track cars??? (If the former, I wondered what all those "pinging" noises when visiting Uncle George and Auntie Geraldine were!).

The big complaint over here Dan, is we pay a standard tax called the "Road Fund Licence", charge dependant on emmissions, to allow use of the car on the road (similar to the number plate tax deployed in some US states).
We then pay a usage tax through the guise of duty on fuel - it's a creasing cost, UK gallon costing about $7.50

This useage charge on top will see rioting in the streets, on a scale greater than the Poll Tax riots of the early '90s
Old December 16th, 2006, 11:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade600 View Post
california been trying to do that for years.
First I've heard of it.
Lived here for years. The state does tax the hell out of a gallon of gas, which is why we pay some of the highest prices in the U.S. despite the fact that we refine the stuff for a quarter of the country.

Last edited by Rainbow32; December 16th, 2006 at 11:40 PM.