Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > General > The Anything Else Board

Notices

The Anything Else Board This board has been designed for all those subjects that don't quite fit in any of the other categories, and is also a place to share ideas and knowledge that you think might prove valuable to our other visitors

Closed Topic

Topic Tools
Old October 19th, 2014, 05:09 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
Wow, thanks zipulrich.
Old October 19th, 2014, 05:09 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Quote:
Originally Posted by lufbra View Post
Where's your "known facts" regarding to AshleyP being a novice?
Has he refuted it?

Only too happy to apologise if I've got it wrong, just like I did when I assumed he was from India or the Philippines.

The known facts are that first time posters who come along and state that a paid for application is great and that they have been using it for years, are generally spammers and usually work as SEOE.

Again if AshleyP is not let him state that and I'll be the first to back down and apologise.

We obviously have a different view on what constitutes a spammer, the days of Spammers just promoting medicinals and sports shoes etc. have changed, now it is more subtle with spammers seeking to promote their clients search engine results, and in the process sometimes mislead innocent forum members.

The signature spammer of old has been defeated, with signatures not being displayed to those who are not signed in.

Murf's words, under the heading Windows Registry Cleaners -Are they Safe that started this thread are wise and not refuted by anyone except for this new poster. Others say it can trash or bork a system, that it is unlikely to do any good but more likely to do harm, or that it is better to just not use such products.

Why on earth do you wish to back this new chap whose post may encourage others to take the opposite view? The thread started with the advice that it is unwise to use such products, perhaps those of us who have been around for a while should support that, or if the advice is clearly incorrect, seek to have it removed.

My opinion is that it is good advice.

On the other hand if you just wish to rubbish me, that's OK, you are not alone, probably a club out there for people with such views. I can see them now, standing around throwing darts at a board containing a picture of my face.

Last edited by Ned Seagoon; October 19th, 2014 at 05:17 PM.
Old October 19th, 2014, 11:16 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

As per Neddie, and I agree whole heartedly, here. Post 1.
Old October 20th, 2014, 08:00 AM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Seagoon View Post
On the other hand if you just wish to rubbish me, that's OK, you are not alone, probably a club out there for people with such views. I can see them now, standing around beer in hand throwing darts at a board containing a picture of my face.
Here I'll help:

Hang it in your pub, and throw darts to your hearts content.

Last edited by Ned Seagoon; October 20th, 2014 at 03:40 PM.
Old October 20th, 2014, 11:41 PM

Kinda think we scared AshleyP off with all this.
Old October 21st, 2014, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintan
Maybe I should rephrase that.

Reg cleaners trash systems.

Better?
Not at all buddy..... REGSEEKER is the BEST reg cleaner I have ever found

First time I used it - it removed about 850 entries!!!! (I gave it a home straight away!)

Last edited by The Dude; October 21st, 2014 at 11:47 PM.
Old October 21st, 2014, 07:50 AM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintan View Post
We may have done that, pity others are not taking any notice of the message.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
8. People have used registry cleaners with no problems and will swear by them, are you willing to take the chance? What benefits do you get by cleaning it?
For my money Murf and Jintan know what they are talking about.

Unfortunately others seem intent to mislead the unwary, with their empty endorsement of of a product that has not caused them any problems, they seem to be blind to the fact that such a statement is meaningless. It does not prove that it will not cause a problem, all it does is confirm that they have done something risky and got away with it.

The crazy thing is that they fail to realise that having extra unnecessary records in the registry, perhaps from a deleted program, is not an impediment to the operation of the computer. But on the other hand removing records may well result in the accidental removal of something that is needed and hence render the computer unworkable.
Old October 21st, 2014, 05:52 PM
CTH Subscriber

All this has NOTHING to do with however much experience Murf or Jintan has, no one here is disputing that, in fact, you're the only one who keeps "harping"on about it!

You ask if AhleyP has "refuted it"? Since when do folks here have to "refute" anything. He is entitled to his opinion just like you, Murf, Jintan, The Dude, Zipulrich, Renegade600, me, or anyone else. Not one of us HAVE To REFUTE anything. Just because Murf and Jintan both say these kind of programs aren't safe, doesn't mean nobody should use them, it's entirely up to them if they use them or not. If they ever find that the program causes a problem, then they have learned from their own experience, just like they would if any other program gave them problems. There's also many "uninstall" programs out there that folks use, plus whatever uninstall programs are built into OS's. Who's to say these programs can't cause the same "problems" as you're going on about? I don't ever recall Murf or Jintan ever telling us, or recommending not to use uninstall programs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintan View Post
Not really surprising with what has been said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Seagoon View Post
We may have done that, pity others are not taking any notice of the message.
What message? The one where you "swear" by whatever Murf and Jintan says, and everyone has to adhere to what you think?

You've already been proved wrong once, by your assumption of where AshleyP comes from. I don't blame him if he has decided to not come back here. Thanks to you, he certainly didn't get the warmest of welcomes.

*pulls darts out of dartboard*
Old October 21st, 2014, 11:19 PM

Donnie, the registry does not need "cleaning". It is a vibrant index of Windows, and these "reg cleaners" just target harmless, unused parts of it and report those as bad. To provide flexibility, Windows provides tons of Registry entries that often prove to be redundant, or never used. Flake software companies know this, and tag along on the myth that Registry cleaning can provide some benefit (like disk defragging, which with the newer NTSF file system, is no longer essential), and they just flat out do not. If folks see improvements, it is because Reg cleaners usually clear out temp files, so provide some improvement in speed. And all "reg cleaners" make errors, and take out needed parts of the Registry. All of them - proven.

If people want to continue using them, that is entirely their choice. If people want to go to the zoo, and stick their face through the bars so they can kiss the tiger, that is entirely their choice as well.

Lufbra, Ashley is a guy?
Old October 21st, 2014, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Seagoon
Unfortunately others seem intent to mislead the unwary, with their empty endorsement of of a product that has not caused them any problems, they seem to be blind to the fact that such a statement is meaningless. It does not prove that it will not cause a problem, all it does is confirm that they have done something risky and got away with it.
No....These programs ARE NOT FOR BEGGINERS!!

Only ppl who are experienced should use one because if someone goes to the STARTUP TAB ENTRY (regseeker) and removes everything from it,there will be issues....

Regseeker has 2 different categorys.... RED and GREEN .. The green entries are safe to remove,the RED ENTRIES may be connected to something and SHOULD NOT BE BLINDLY REMOVED! (Even after a scan) - I have had many RED entries come up but I DO NOT DELETE THEM!! (An inexperienced user may)

No REG CLEANERS are not your average tool for just anyone -- They CAN cause un-needed problems!! (No one is saying they dont)
Old October 22nd, 2014, 12:23 AM

Donnie, you tried to kiss the tiger, didn't you?

Tell you want though. I'll run RegSeeker on a clean install of Windows 7 tomorrow. See what comes up red and green (on a system that should have zero red or greens).
Old October 22nd, 2014, 12:55 AM

If ya want buddy I can give you the exact version of regseeker I have! (Which I think is the best) version 1.45

Code:
http://webpages.charter.net/bmvanlieshout/progs
Download "regseeker.zip" (Might have to run it in XP compatibilty mode) (I dont know if this version will run on Win7 (It runs fine on 98,2000,ME and XP))

Last edited by The Dude; October 22nd, 2014 at 12:58 AM.
Old October 22nd, 2014, 04:46 AM

O/S: Linux
I am with Murf Jintan and Neddie.... Reg cleaners have brought me nothing but grief and sorrow
Old October 22nd, 2014, 09:54 AM
CTH Subscriber

The discussion in this thread reminds me of the discussion of old regarding Flashing BIOS.

Back in the early days of PCs it became fashionable to upgrade the BIOS on the motherboard for no particular reason other than a later version of the BIOS became available.

I did this, in ignorance of the possible hazards, but without any problems.

However I know of people who stuffed their motherboard completely when the flash went wrong, it cost them a new MoBo, and in those days they were quite a deal more expensive than they are today.

It soon became apparent that such action (flash the BIOS) was only to be undertake when a major problem existed, and not just because a later version of the BIOS existed.

If I had remained ignorant I may have posted that "Flashing a BIOS is OK, because I've done it and it worked for me", but I became educated as to the risks and a strong advocate for leaving things alone if they are not broken.
Old October 22nd, 2014, 04:09 PM

I did my experiment, just using the latest version of RegSeeker.

I loaded Windows 7 Home Premium (/w SP1) onto a 64 bit system I hand-crafted myself, using a custom build case.

Including a chunk of bread on the cpu fan I dropped from a sandwich.

Nothing else added or changed. Transferred RegSeeker from a different system, and ran it.

--------

RegSeeker apparently isn't programmed to know that "%CommonProgramFiles%" refers to "Program Files\Common Files", so mistakenly thinks that file does not exist. So wants to remove that Registry reference to it. I also don't think RegSeeker takes into account junctions (redirected file system links). Sure could cause some damage. Note it found 2042 problems on a brand new install.

---------

It also targeted every Registry Uninstall entry that wasn't reflected in Programs and Features.

Quote:
The DirectDrawEx component contains a dynamic-link library (DLL), called Ddrawex.dll, which insulates the application caller from version differences between the DLL and the installed version of Microsoft DirectDraw.
So remove that entry or not? I doubt it's a good idea.

---------

And provides the means to mass Enable or Disable non-MS services. I can tell that most of those listed are not even in play, like those for Brother printer services. Just added by Windows so that they come into play when a Brother printer (or most other brand printers) is attached. just the fact that this program gives such access to unseen functions, and the means to cause damage to them, means it's a bad idea all around.

Quote:
No REG CLEANERS are not your average tool for just anyone
Are you then not just anyone Donnie? What did you do when RegSeeker wanted to remove that tabskd,dll file reference, or the DirectDrawEx entry removal? Or do you just run it, and have it just slash and burn anything it finds?

All reg cleaners are crap.
Closed Topic