Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old October 19th, 2005, 05:17 PM

Unhappy No Speaker Output...NO VOLUME!!!

Can somebody please help me fix my speaker volume??!!

I cannot figure out what the issue is. I had volume fine yesterday afternoon, closed my laptop cover upon leaving work to send it to hibernation, as usual, and when I turned it back on later last evening, I had no sound?? Received no warnings, or had anything strange occur, so I don't know what to do!

I tried connecting external speakers/subwoofer to it which I know work as they are connected to my desktop, but had no output still. Have tried CD's DVD's, websites with programs from Windows Media to Winamp to Real Player, and all do not put any sound out. I tried updating the driver on my SoundMAX Itegrated Digital Audio device through the device manager, and it found nothing more up to date.

Also, all the items listed under the "Sound, video and game controllers" tab in device manager say "The device is working properly." I also checked the Volume Control option under Accessories>>Entertainment and everything looked the same as usual, volume is at max, nothing muted.

The laptop I own is an HP Pavillion zv5330us, and typically I use the volume controls at the front of the computer base for volume up/down and mute. These still appear to be working, as the middle mute button still lights up as it would toggling it from mute to unmute.

So I am at a loss, is there anything that could be wrong? Anything else I can try? Windows Help for troubleshooting the speakers is no help, so hopefully someone else can help. Thanks in advance.
Old October 19th, 2005, 05:35 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Did you go into Control Panel and then Sounds and Audio Devices? You might have to reinstall the sound drive to the sound card.

William
Old October 19th, 2005, 05:39 PM

I did fool around a little bit in there. But where do I go to reinstall the sound drive to the sound card?? I can't find exactly where that is. Thanks.
Old October 19th, 2005, 10:10 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Depending on what brand of laptop you have, you can find the driver on the company's website under support and downloads.
Old October 19th, 2005, 10:37 PM

Thumbs up Problem Solved!!

Thanks for your help, I played around a little bit more with the drivers and uninstalled and reinstalled the SoundMAX card driver and everything seems to be in workig order now!! Thanks for the advice.