Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old November 16th, 2003, 12:39 AM

what kind???

I'm looking into buying new ram and I want something good... I have always had cheap crappy stuff. the book says I need 184-pin ddr dimm sockets.
*supports ddr333/ddrs66/ddr200
*supports up to 2 un-buffered ddr333 or up to 3 un-buffer double sided ddr266/200
*supports up to 3gb dram (max) (ddr266/200)
*supports only 2.5v ddr dimm

and that is what? everything I look at has pc2100, etc etc, the book dont tell me what I need for that....
Old November 16th, 2003, 02:52 AM
Cyber Tech Help Administrator

DDR333 is the same as PC2700, DDR266 is PC2100, and DDR200 is PC1600.

Buy some good Crucial stuff - you'll be happy.
Old November 16th, 2003, 07:27 PM

512MB PC2700 of Crucial, Corsair, Mushkin, or Kingston HyperX and you'll be happy
Old November 18th, 2003, 05:00 AM

excallent, so I have a few more questions that involve this stuff, using the belarc advisor, some of my systems info comes back as, something I want expecting my Bus Clock: 100 megahertz....
is thats what its supposed to be? also when I start up the machine it goes through the regular memory check, it says ddr266, but, I remember changing that in the past, also, what does 400mhz fsb stand for? does any of this info fall into place or is something sound strange?
Old November 18th, 2003, 06:48 AM

Re: Fsb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack_flash
excallent, so I have a few more questions that involve this stuff, using the belarc advisor, some of my systems info comes back as, something I want expecting my Bus Clock: 100 megahertz....
is thats what its supposed to be? also when I start up the machine it goes through the regular memory check, it says ddr266, but, I remember changing that in the past, also, what does 400mhz fsb stand for? does any of this info fall into place or is something sound strange?

100mhz fsb times 4 (4 being the multiplier.) which equals 400fsb. And yes, on that CPU, its what it is supposed to be. However your board also supports faster processors and you can upgrade to something that has a 533 fsb rating (which would post on your advisor as 133fsb(x'4). Nothing sounds strange.

In simple terms, fsb stands for how much information can travel between your cpu and your memory. Picture a 2 lane highway ..... while you can drive 100 on that highway, more people can drive 100 along with you if its a 4 lane highway. Thats the principle of the fsb and its multiplier.

P.S. Before you run out and buy a new cpu, make sure you know which socket you have ..... there are two for a p4 class machine.

Last edited by HaViNaBaDdAy; November 18th, 2003 at 06:53 AM.
Old November 19th, 2003, 07:30 AM

so, if I'm understanding it correctly, its like having a 400mhz bus speed? if that is how it works the whole system seems to be pretty slow for having that much, then again it could be my cheap ram stopping it up? my video card needs to be replaced to, other than that, it should be good for a few more years before I gotta buy a bunch of new stuff again
Old November 19th, 2003, 07:57 AM

RE: my cheap ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack_flash
so, if I'm understanding it correctly, its like having a 400mhz bus speed? if that is how it works the whole system seems to be pretty slow for having that much, then again it could be my cheap ram stopping it up? my video card needs to be replaced to, other than that, it should be good for a few more years before I gotta buy a bunch of new stuff again
Your ram is the biggest slow down in your current system. You would get significant upgrades performance wise just be adding a 512 chip of DDR ram to your current machine. Of course, the faster ram (DDR333, DDR400, etc) is always better! However, don't mismatch DDR266 with DDR400 ram.

Other performance factors .... intel celeron 1.70 ghz. Its not bad, but a true P4 class chip would be better. Raw clock speed is only a part of the equation and the extra L1 and L2 cache adds a performance gain. You already mentioned your vid card so I won't say anything there. The latest ATI @ 128mb or more (what you can afford) would wake up about any game. Your lg 12x8x32 cdr/w is also kinda slow. Consider Lite-On at 52 x 32 x52 (about 60.00 to 70.00) as an outstanding value drive to speed up your burning needs.

windoze 98 se I love how ya spelled it. Its time to put unstable mable to sleep. Win2000 or WinXP.... there are pros and cons to both. However, leaving the arguments aside, either one would be good choice on your new machine. I will say this .... I have both Win2000 and WinXP, and I chose to use the oversized bloatware windows XP. Its stability in a MS based machine is not going to be beat!
Old January 24th, 2006, 05:26 AM

Titan 533...?

I have a Titan 533 mobo with a 1.7ghz CPU, 2x256 DDR ram (one 266mhz and the other 333mhz), running XP Pro and I was told that a stick of 1GB DDR400/pc3200 unbuffered RAM was compatible with that board. I thought I might be able to add it to the existing ram or replace the ram already in the mobo. So I took out the 2x256 DDR ram and replaced them with the 1GB stick, put the computer back together and turned it on.

It took a bit longer than unusual to load window but than it did and all seemed fine. I connect to the web and the pages flipped over like the pages of a book, and I was impressed. I closed the web down and went to open outlook express and that's when I saw that my problems weren't over. The outlook express froze my computer and I had to restart. I tried again, same thing. I added one of the 256 rams and that didn't help. I have had to take it out and put the 2x256 DDR rams back in.

Can anyone help me with this problem, please?