Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old June 29th, 2018, 12:59 PM
Banned

Windows Network Diagnostics

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

My ISP agreed to help me change my IP address.
Had me physically disconnect modem, and reboot.
Did not work.

Trying to use CMD prompt to refresh IP address

Getting error messages:

No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection 2 while it has its media disconnected.

No operation can be performed on Wireless Network Connection 2 while it has its media disconnected.

Ran the "Windows Network Diagnostics"

It says "Local Area Connection" doesn't have a valid IP configuration

Last edited by adambarnes; June 29th, 2018 at 01:04 PM.
Old June 29th, 2018, 04:20 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Click Start->Run, type cmd and press Enter. Type ipconfig /release at the prompt window, press Enter, it will release the current IP configuration.

Type ipconfig /renew at the prompt window, press Enter, wait for a while, the DHCP server will assign a new IP address for your computer.
Old June 29th, 2018, 04:40 PM
Banned

Thank you.

Maybe the OP was not clear? I had ALREADY DONE exactly what you say to do, and it resulted in the Error Messages in the OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Click Start->Run, type cmd and press Enter. Type ipconfig /release at the prompt window, press Enter, it will release the current IP configuration.

Type ipconfig /renew at the prompt window, press Enter, wait for a while, the DHCP server will assign a new IP address for your computer.
Old June 30th, 2018, 03:29 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Try this:

Right click on "Network" then click properties, click change adapter settings, right click on your Local Area connection. Uncheck "Internet Protocol Version 6 TCP/IPv6" select. Then go to IPv4 hit properties, make sure Obtain IP address automatically is selected and obtain DNS automatically.
Old June 30th, 2018, 11:52 AM
Banned

Thank you. Did those things.

Disconnected modem from power and from cable. Waited about five minutes.

Rebooted computer.

Tried again ipconfig/renew

same error messages as in OP

Still same IP address.

Local Area Connection
Network 2
Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller

Local Area Connection 2
Network Cable Unplugged
TAP Windows Adapter V9

Wireless Network Connection
Not connected
802.11 Wireless LAN Card

Wireless Network Connection 2
Not connected
Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport A...

Last edited by adambarnes; June 30th, 2018 at 12:02 PM.
Old June 30th, 2018, 04:35 PM

What IP address are you talking about?

Make sure you are talking about the IP address assigned by your ISP and not the IP address assigned to your computer by your router/modem.

If you keep seeing something like 192.168.1.3, then that is from your router/modem.
Old June 30th, 2018, 09:30 PM
Banned

No idea what you are talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digerati View Post
What IP address are you talking about?

Make sure you are talking about the IP address assigned by your ISP and not the IP address assigned to your computer by your router/modem.

If you keep seeing something like 192.168.1.3, then that is from your router/modem.
Old June 30th, 2018, 10:44 PM

Quote:
No idea what you are talking about.
Your ISP issues you an IP address. This is assigned to your "gateway" device, which is typically your cable/DSL modem.

Most home networks then have a router connected to the modem - though in the last couple years, the routers are integrated with the modem in one box.

Note these devices often have yet another network device integrated within, the WAP or wireless access point. 3 separate network devices that just happen to share a circuit board, case and power supply.

Taking it further, most also have a 4-port Ethernet switch too - so they are really 4 in one devices.

If you have just one device, the modem, and it has 4 Ethernet ports on the back, then you have an integrated 4-in-one "gateway device.

If you have a separate modem and a router, then your router is likely a "wireless router" and integrates the router, WAP and 4-port switch in one device. In either case, the router portion issues each of your connected devices unique and new IP addresses which typically start with 192.168.

If you only have a basic modem, it will have one input and one output and you can only connect one computer to your entire network. That would be very rare these days a most home have several devices that connect (multiple computers, cell phones via wireless, networked printers, "smart" TVs and BlueRay players, tablets and more).

My point is, your ISP may have issued you a new IP address that your modem assumed. But your router kept the same 192.168.xxx.xxx addresses to your connected computers. That would not be uncommon.

Clear as mud, huh?
Old June 30th, 2018, 10:51 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
You can go here to see your IP address.
https://whatismyipaddress.com/
Old July 1st, 2018, 02:36 AM
Banned

All that is useless. A waste of your time and mine.

Unless you tell me EXACT STEPS to obtain the information you are asking for, I cannot answer.

I do not know, or really care about all this. I simply want to obtain a new
IP address.

It's a modem hardwired to a cable. That's all I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digerati View Post
Your ISP issues you an IP address. This is assigned to your "gateway" device, which is typically your cable/DSL modem.

Most home networks then have a router connected to the modem - though in the last couple years, the routers are integrated with the modem in one box.

Note these devices often have yet another network device integrated within, the WAP or wireless access point. 3 separate network devices that just happen to share a circuit board, case and power supply.

Taking it further, most also have a 4-port Ethernet switch too - so they are really 4 in one devices.

If you have just one device, the modem, and it has 4 Ethernet ports on the back, then you have an integrated 4-in-one "gateway device.

If you have a separate modem and a router, then your router is likely a "wireless router" and integrates the router, WAP and 4-port switch in one device. In either case, the router portion issues each of your connected devices unique and new IP addresses which typically start with 192.168.

If you only have a basic modem, it will have one input and one output and you can only connect one computer to your entire network. That would be very rare these days a most home have several devices that connect (multiple computers, cell phones via wireless, networked printers, "smart" TVs and BlueRay players, tablets and more).

My point is, your ISP may have issued you a new IP address that your modem assumed. But your router kept the same 192.168.xxx.xxx addresses to your connected computers. That would not be uncommon.

Clear as mud, huh?
Old July 1st, 2018, 02:38 AM
Banned

Thank you. I already knew how to check my current
IP address. That is how I knew, after following various steps to
refresh the iP, that it had not changed.

I have NO IDEA what 'type' of IP address it is.

I dont' really care, just want to change it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPR512 View Post
Old February 27th, 2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPR512 View Post
I appreciate this guy, he is just trying to help. It wouldn't hurt to thank him.