Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old May 19th, 2018, 07:04 AM

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
Mousepad & Keyboard stopped working.

Hi all,

A week or 2 back my mousepad and keyboard on my Laptop all of a sudden stopped working. There were a couple of other odd things that also happened i.e AVG got turned off, couldn't load chrome browser. I suspected possibly a virus or something, so I posted in the malware section for some advice and help.

Olgun has been helping me there and my system is clean, he advised me to post here for some help and thinks it may possibly be to do with drivers?

My thread for this topic is here, please feel free to have a look at our steps there:
https://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums...d.php?t=232997

Ultimately, now my laptop is clean. But, my mousepad doesn't work and my keyboard is incredibly intermittent on if it will work or not after a restart, after some restarts it will, and after some it won't. AVG, Chrome etc are all working now again (although AVG has been temporarily removed), it is just the keyboard and mousepad that are problematic.

The mouse pad driver I have tried to reinstall, but the mousepad still does not show in device manager. I believe I was installing the correct driver for them too.

My Laptop is a Sony Vaio VGN-NS20E 32bit, It was Windows Vista when I first purchased the laptop a number of years back, now I have upgraded to Windows 7.

Any help or advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Regards,

JIO22.

Last edited by JIO22; May 19th, 2018 at 07:06 AM.
Old May 20th, 2018, 05:29 PM

I don't know what the problem is but have you tried an external keyboard and mouse to see if they work fine? If they do, then it would point to hardware or HW driver issues and not the OS itself. If the external devices are causing the same problems, that could suggest something more serious.
Old May 20th, 2018, 09:22 PM

Hi,

Yes I have, both externals do work without any issues.

Currently since restarting my laptop today the keyboard is back working, but for how long I am not sure, probably upon my next restart it won't be - this seems to be the pattern.

My mousepad is not working now at all, but I can not seem to get the mousepad to show in device manager after installing the driver. At present I'm using a mouse attached to my usb port which works fine.

Both the keyboard and mousepad stopped working at identical times.
Old May 20th, 2018, 09:53 PM

If me, I would totally uninstall the keyboard/touchpad/mouse drivers, then shutdown the computer, disconnect your external keyboard and mouse and remove the battery for about 1 minute. Then install battery and boot and see what happen. It should detect the notebook keyboard and touchpad - at least for most basic functions, and from there you can install the real driver from your notebook's website. If not, it sounds like your keyboard/touchpad has failed.

Plug your notebook brand and model number, along with "keyboard replacement" into Google and you will likely find replacement parts and tutorials. If handy, it is not that hard but no shame in taking it to a shop. It is always nice to be able to hold someone else accountable for collateral damage! That said, this is a pretty common repair so hopefully a decent shop will have lots of experience and know how and where to strategically put their tongue - and do the repair without problems - often at a flat rate (plus parts) you can get ahead of time.

If you feel able, this problem could also be due to a loose connector or pinched cable. So taking it apart for a visual inspection might reveal that too.

Otherwise, it is not uncommon for users to just keep notebooks like this connected to an external keyboard, mouse and monitor and keep using it as a PC.
Old May 20th, 2018, 11:20 PM

Yeah thanks.

I have uninstalled both and also removed the battery, the keyboard will work on occasions after this (as it is now) but not the mousepad. But as I say I'm having a problem to install the correct drivers for the mousepad, so it does not show in device manager, once I can achieve this I think the mousepad will work again.

My laptop was windows vista, now I have upgraded myself to windows 7 - not sure I need drivers for vista or windows 7? I've tried both from what I have found, to no avail so far. But my main issue here is to get the mousepad back showing in the device manager first then hopefully it will be working okay.
Old May 21st, 2018, 04:51 PM

Quote:
but not the mousepad.
Remember, most notebook let you disable the mousepad to prevent sending the cursor flying across the screen from a low hanging swipe of a wayward thumb. There is no industry standard but check your Function keys. On my Toshiba, it is Fn + F9.
Quote:
My laptop was windows vista, now I have upgraded myself to windows 7 - not sure I need drivers for vista or windows 7?
Always the currently installed OS.
Old May 21st, 2018, 08:38 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
when you upgraded to win 7, did you go to the laptops manufacturers website and see if they had any win7 drivers? if not, you need to do that.
Old May 23rd, 2018, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digerati View Post
Remember, most notebook let you disable the mousepad to prevent sending the cursor flying across the screen from a low hanging swipe of a wayward thumb. There is no industry standard but check your Function keys. On my Toshiba, it is Fn + F9.
Always the currently installed OS.

Yes I have tried the function keys but its not this. It isn't in device manager at all even after I install the drivers.
Old May 23rd, 2018, 07:04 PM

Quote:
when you upgraded to win 7, did you go to the laptops manufacturers website and see if they had any win7 drivers? if not, you need to do that.
Yes, I downloaded and installed from sony. Still not listed in device manager.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today, being the first time in a week or 2 the mousepad started working, this was after I uninstalled the keyboard driver and restarted. The mousepad worked for a bit then stopped after a few minutes and which seemed like when the laptop had fully finished loading, but this is still without the original synaptics driver installed just the PS/2 Compatible mouse and standard PS/2 Keyboard.
Old May 23rd, 2018, 11:32 PM

Hi all,

Just wanted to update on progress.

After countless times of trying to reinstall drivers and software etc, having some operation of the keyboard and pretty much no operation of the mousepad. Although by uninstalling the keyboard drivers sometimes gave me the keyboard back to use until the next shut down.

I decided to take the laptop apart and have a closer inspection. I found the small ribbon connection from the mousepad to the motherboard to be not great, although it was in the connection the compression part of the connection was not quite fully engaged. I remade the ribbon connection and is now fully compressed in place. Whilst in here I've had a good clean out and checked all the other connections and re-seated 1 other as in a similar position.

The mousepad worked straight away upon restart and I have installed the correct synaptics driver for it,which worked on the first attempt. The laptop has been shutdown and restarted a couple of times since and it is working fine, along with the keyboard.

It seems like this was the fix, I'll keep my fingers crossed for a few days and I'll see how we go.

Thanks to all of you who have helped.

Cheers JIO22.
Old May 24th, 2018, 02:46 PM

Great! As I noted above, a loose connection was definitely suspect. Next time you are in there, a dab or two of hot glue can keep it from coming loose again too.

Cleaning it out while you were in there was a smart move.

Thanks for the followup.
Old May 24th, 2018, 08:32 PM

No probs for the follow up, it's always good to have it down here on what we done and what the solution was in the end. It may help others in the future who have a similar issue. It was weird how the drivers were reacting after installation (not there), and also how the keyboard would intermittently work and then not. It all seemed to happen at the same time as my AVG and Malwarebytes would not function either which then led to think it could all be malware related. This led me on a bit of a wild goose chase. Olgun went through some steps first though in the Malware section and confirmed all was clean and good, which is what I would of expected.

But it was worth taking it apart this time as it paid off. All is functioning well still, so I'm certain this has sorted it for me.

Regards,

JIO22.

Last edited by JIO22; May 24th, 2018 at 08:35 PM.
Old May 25th, 2018, 04:35 PM

Quote:
It may help others in the future who have a similar issue.
Exactly. And it helps site staff to know if a problem has been resolved, and it helps helpers understand the issue better too. Plus it is just proper forum etiquette to post back with the solution.

Intermittent issues like this are actually more common with portable devices because they are moved and knocked about where a PC just sits there.