Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old May 13th, 2018, 08:21 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Very Slow App Startup

After boot, launch time for some apps is grossly large. E.g., AOL will take over 60 secs before being displayed. Opera and Internet Explorer also very long. Notebook (HP Pavilion g7 w/Windows 7 Home Premium) connects thru WiFi to router and modem and TWC. As does another PC (HP B&O Pavilion w/W10) without the large delay. I’ve run SlimCleanerPlus, Disc Cleanup, Kaspersky Total Security and TotalAV to no avail. C drive about 90% free. Not aware of any special activities on this little used PC
Old May 14th, 2018, 01:01 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
1st I would check what is starting with windows" A lot may not be needed to run in the background.

Press the Windows Key and "R" at the same time.

In the run window type msconfig and then click OK

Now click on the STARTUP Tab

Listed are programs that start with Windows and keep running in the background 90% of them you don't need starting with Windows, if you need to use them you either click on a shortcut you made on the desktop or click on the programs execution file *.exe

Once you determine which ones you don't want starting with Windows you simply uncheck the box next to it, then hit OK

Which ones do you need ???????

Hard to say but you DO NOT NEED:

Itunes
QuickTime
Apple ush
Adobe Reader
Spotify Web Helper
Microsoft Office

Just a few

Leave alone anything associated with your antivirus (e.g. Avast, Avira, etc.)

If you are unsure either google it or post here and we can advise.

One of the better sources around is:

http://www.blackviper.com/service-co...onfigurations/

After this is done see if it boots and loads any faster.

Also I would run system file checker

Shows you how:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/how-to...indows-7-vista
Old May 14th, 2018, 02:44 AM

Typed msconfig, clicked OK: about 80 sec. delay before Sys Config Screen appears. On my W10 machine the delay is 4 secs.
Old May 14th, 2018, 05:04 PM

Something many people overlook when they have slow boot and slow load times is a failing hard drive. If the platters are not spinning up to speed or they have a lot of bad sectors being created it will seem like the PC has slowed to a crawl. Also remember if your Win10 machine has an SSD hard drive and the other is SATA then there will be a big difference in load times just from the difference in speeds of the drives.
The utility HWiNFO64 or HWiNFO32 (depending on the system) can show you some information about the drives at launch in the bottom left corner and there are many other factors about your system you can view. The application HDD Regenerator is not free and should be run from a boot, it will scan the drive(s) for bad sectors to indicate a failing drive that way. You can download a trial version but it will only repair the first bad sector it finds making the trial fairly tedious for a drive with a lot of bad sectors and takes a long time for large capacity drives.
Old May 23rd, 2018, 03:50 PM

Problem solved, apparently. Pursuing a different problem I pressed and held the Power button down for 4 or so seconds to shut down the PC. After other trash the PC did boot and after boot the AOL launch to use time was reduced from about 80 seconds to 8 seconds.
Old May 31st, 2018, 04:37 PM

Problem solved. Apparently serious malfunction, undetected, with hard drive. After boot, depressing and holding down power switch lead to CHKDSC which reorged the hard drive. Startup time for AOL went from 80 secs to 18 secs, Opera 40 secs to 8 secs.
Old September 14th, 2018, 11:50 AM

app is slow

Hi, after i install an android emulator app for my pc the app is so slow and it keeps on lagging and sometimes it wont lunch the app. i put this bluestacks emulator so my kids can play on my pc with their favorite mobile app. but its so slow and some times it crashes. can some one please help me