Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old September 26th, 2015, 06:34 PM

Quote:
The "revert back" option appears to only be good for about 30 days.
This is true. After 30 days, the windows.old folder will automatically be deleted and you can no longer uninstall W10 and roll back to your old OS. If you want to go back to your old OS after that, you will have to re-install the old OS from your old OS installation disks. After that again, you will be able to install W10 for free again - at least until next July when the free upgrade period ends.
Old September 27th, 2015, 09:59 AM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade600 View Post
you will only see the windows.old folder after you upgrade. However, without that windows.old folder, you will not be able to revert so you will have to install from scratch if you decide against win10.

an iso is an image of a dvd that is used to create a mirror copy.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/termsi/g/isofile.htm
I am trying to burn an iso of windows 10 to an external harddrive,how do I do this,my dvds only take 4.75 gb and 6gb it seems is needed,so an external hardrive seemed the answer but there is no facility for this it seems.
Old September 27th, 2015, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
The "revert back" option appears to only be good for about 30 days. And when you revert back may run in some problems, like programs not working. These will have to be reinstalled or repaired, not all users have experience this.

Your motherboard has a PCI Express x16 slot. Your Graphics is built (intergrated)into the chip.

Appears Gigabyte has not published a Windows 10 driver yet for your graphics, so you either wait until they do or you get a separate graphics card and disable the on-board.

I did find a possible Windows 10 driver here:
http://www.driverscape.com/manufactu.../g31m-es2l/106
Thanks for finding that driver,how do I disable the on board graphics ,by way of device manager? My immediate problem is trying to find space on my 30gb ssd to accommodate Win 10 alongside the existing Windows 7.I have removed everything conceivable but there is still 5or 6 gb of junk still there that I want to move to an external drive.
Old September 27th, 2015, 05:23 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
On Board is disabled in your BIOS SETUP. Some motherboards will disable it when a separate Video Card is installed.
Old September 27th, 2015, 07:06 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcyber View Post
Thanks for finding that driver,how do I disable the on board graphics ,by way of device manager? My immediate problem is trying to find space on my 30gb ssd to accommodate Win 10 alongside the existing Windows 7.I have removed everything conceivable but there is still 5or 6 gb of junk still there that I want to move to an external drive.
You must remember that if you are UPGRADING to win10 and using win7 to justify getting the FREE upgrade, win7 must be removed after the win10 install.
Old September 28th, 2015, 01:59 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
You must remember that if you are UPGRADING to win10 and using win7 to justify getting the FREE upgrade, win7 must be removed after the win10 install.

NOT EXACTLY: You have 30 days to roll back to Windows 7 after the upgrade if you don't like Windows 10.
Old September 28th, 2015, 09:16 AM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post

NOT EXACTLY: You have 30 days to roll back to Windows 7 after the upgrade if you don't like Windows 10.
but it still must be removed. so what I say is EXACTLY right.
Old September 28th, 2015, 05:01 PM

Quote:
but it still must be removed. so what I say is EXACTLY right.
No, not really. This implies the user must do something to remove W7. Not true. And some may also take this as though W7 is still usable on the computer. Also not true. W7 is no longer usable after you install the W10 upgrade, unless you decide to roll back before the 30 days have passed. And the only reason that is possible is because W10 has compressed the W7 (or W8 if applicable) unique files into a couple files, notably windows.old and then uses them to in effect, "reinstall" W7.

If you decide to keep W10, the user must take no action to remove W7. So it does not have to be removed - it's already gone!
Old September 28th, 2015, 05:06 PM
CTH Subscriber

it must be removed per the eula. normally the upgrade would remove win7 and create a windows.old folder. trying to keep win7 in a different partition is another story and that is what was being done in the post I was replying to.
Old September 28th, 2015, 05:23 PM

You are right, if done on another partition. But that is not what is happening here. The OP was trying to make room on his 30Gb SSD so the upgrade from W7 to W10 had space to complete.
Old September 30th, 2015, 07:09 PM

Almost installed windows 10 but it keeps prompting me to remove Rising Antivirus which has already been uninstalled as it is not compatible,it doesn't show in programmes at all.
Old October 6th, 2015, 03:17 AM

Here is a link to manually uninstall Rising. Do NOT download their uninstaller, just do the manual steps.
Old October 6th, 2015, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike2me View Post
Here is a link to manually uninstall Rising. Do NOT download their uninstaller, just do the manual steps.
Thanks < took the step of re installing as someone recommended and then uninstall and it worked,I like the programme but it is not compatible with the Win 10 I am trying to instal,come the big day
Old October 6th, 2015, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike2me View Post
It seems you forgot to give the link ,I thought by my last post on this I had got rid of it but no,it's still there