Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Applications

Notices

Applications Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of computer software applications

Topic Tools
Old May 24th, 2015, 11:10 PM

Network question about Microsoft Virtual PC 2007

I have several options available to me in VPC2007:

NAT (make a given virtual machine act as if it is its own computer on my real-world LAN with its own MAC address)

A physical network card (make a given virtual machine use my host machine's network hardware, just like any other software on the host machine that uses the network such as a web browser or FTP server)

Local Only (make each virtual machine able to network to each other with a sort of virtual LAN, but have no access to the host machine nor to the real-world LAN on which the host machine is part of)

Not Connected (don't use any networking for the given virtual machine)

But here's my question. How do I give a virtual machine access to the host machine but DENY ACCESS to the LAN on which the host machine exists? Is there some driver I can install on my host machine, which will set up a virtual LAN on the host machine (software that will "look like" a hardware network card to the host machine and virtual machines, but have no connectivity outside of the host machine), that will allow ONLY communications between the host machine and virtual machines (as well as between individual virtual machines), while preventing those virtual machines from seeing the real-world LAN on which the host machine happens to exist?

I assumed that MS Virtual PC 2007 came with such a driver, but I don't see any extra network devices in Device Manager or in the Network Connections control panel. Is there a separate driver I can download either from Microsoft (preferable, as they are the makers of the VPC2007 software), or from 3rd parties, that would accomplish what I am trying to accomplish?

Below is a diagram of exactly what I'm looking for. I just hope that some driver exists to accomplish this.