Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old April 25th, 2010, 02:25 PM

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
Windows vista premium 32bit dualboot with windows 7 32bit

Hi guys, I have an upgrade disk from ASUS to upgrade to Windows 7 32bit. However I have a program called ArcView 3.3 which will not work in a 64bit environment, so I therefore am considering a dual boot as a precaution.

I have a laptop that is compatible with the 64 bit version, although my ASUS upgrade media states it only contains 32bit software. I also have a driver disk for windows 7-32/64bit.

As my signature indicates, i have two hard disks that were split into four partitions in the factory (see below)

C: VistaOS (83.5gig/149gig)

D: data (with games and work files, 105gig/137gig)

F: Local disk (all space free, 148gig/149gig)

G: Local disk (all space free, 148/149gig)

Logic (haha) suggests I should be able to maintain my vista partition (c) and my data drive (d and install windows 7 premium upgrade on either F or G. I think Wnidows 7 is much easier to install than other versions of windows, I just want to make sure if there are any issues I should be aware of when attempting this, other than accidently installing over my vista installation lol

Many thanks

Long term member (Thanks for all your help over the years)
Old April 27th, 2010, 03:38 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwheway View Post
want to make sure if there are any issues
The Windows 7 installer refers to the partitions as...
Disk 0
Disk 1
Disk 2
...etc.

Make sure you knows what Disk number you want to install of Windows 7 to go to before you start the install process.
Disk Management (diskmgmt.msc in Run...) will clarify who is what and what is who for Disk numbers.
Old April 27th, 2010, 12:21 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwheway View Post
Hi guys, I have an upgrade disk from ASUS to upgrade to Windows 7 32bit. However I have a program called ArcView 3.3 which will not work in a 64bit environment, so I therefore am considering a dual boot as a precaution.

I have a laptop that is compatible with the 64 bit version, although my ASUS upgrade media states it only contains 32bit software. I also have a driver disk for windows 7-32/64bit.

As my signature indicates, i have two hard disks that were split into four partitions in the factory (see below)

C: VistaOS (83.5gig/149gig)

D: data (with games and work files, 105gig/137gig)

F: Local disk (all space free, 148gig/149gig)

G: Local disk (all space free, 148/149gig)

Logic (haha) suggests I should be able to maintain my vista partition (c) and my data drive (d and install windows 7 premium upgrade on either F or G. I think Wnidows 7 is much easier to install than other versions of windows, I just want to make sure if there are any issues I should be aware of when attempting this, other than accidently installing over my vista installation lol

Many thanks

Long term member (Thanks for all your help over the years)
if you use the upgrade win7 cd you will not be able to maintain your vista partition, your vista will have to go unless you purchase another full retail version copy.
Old April 28th, 2010, 12:02 AM

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
Upgrading Vista to Windows 7 home premium 32bit

Thanks for the advice, it is just the one programme I need to run but its very important for my studies, so for the moment I iwll leave my vista installtion as it is.

I wish Asus and Microsoft infomed us these upgrades are rather limited as I had to pay £17 for the upgrade and microsoft for students were offering a full retail version for £30. In this case I would have been able to upgrade to windows 7 home premium 64bit and maintain my vista partition to run my ArcView programme haha.

But I might play with the Asus upgrade to see what options it provides

Many thanks, I might write a letter to ASUS arguing that they do not adequately communicate the full implications of an upgrade (and im no thicko so how would my mum and dad understand lol)

Just a question, does Windows 7 home premium have the capability to 'compatibility mode' e.g. windows xp service pack 3 like Vists? A guide on a GIS site implies that Windows 7 does (thus enabling my programme to work). I had the impression only windows 7 ultimate did, although is that like a full on compatibility mode?

Okay... last question in gaming terms is there a huge noticable difference between the 32bit and 64bit windows 7 as I play games from a year or two ago, as with many technologies, osmetimes they are overhyped

Many Thanks

Craig Wheway