Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old April 19th, 2010, 11:04 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Severe Crashing Issues

Hi There!

It's been a long time since I've needed to post on here for some help but the time has finally come.

I've finally upgraded my system from old Windows XP SP2 to Windows 7 Ultimate (With all Latest Updates).

My issue seems to be either faulty hardware or faulty OS, or finally faulty me.

Starting with a clean install, with no programs installed, the computer is fine. Everything runs properly everything is ok.

Sometimes it runs well enough that I can start installing new programs. Sometimes it starts crashing immediately.

By crashing I mean the following happens...

- FireFox crashes. Unkown error.
- FireFox crashes. BSOD Memory Management.
- Internet Explorer crashes. Unknown Problem
- Explorer crashes. Unknown problem.
- BSOD (Win32k.sys)
- BSOD (Memory Management)
- Install nVidia Drivers (Black screen, then power off, no BSOD)
- Windows Media Player unable to open.
- CD/DVD Autorun unable to run. Fatal Error.

The list goes on for quite some time.

Usually before these crashes occur my taskbar changes from a transparent theme (due to my own custom desktop wallpaper)

To a solid Windows 7 Basic theme color. Shown below.

My RAM runs at a constant 25% 5 minutes after a clean install of Windows with no programs running.

I am NOT overclocking.

I have reset my BIOS to Default Settings.

I have reinstalled Windows7 Ultimate 12 times and each time the computer runs problem free for an average of 5-6 days before the same errors occur.

I have had to buy a 1TB External HDD to backup my files because this has gotten to be such a hassle I can't leave them on my Computer.

I have returned my RAM to the store 4 times and tried 2 types of GSkill RAM and now on my 2nd set of RIPJAWs RAM. The store now refuses to accept returns because
they claim their is nothing wrong with the RAM.

My system is as follows...

CPU: iNtel Core i5 750 Quad-Core 2.66Ghz
RAM: RIPJAW Gaming Series RAM DDR3-1600 PC3-12800 2048MBx2 Sticks (4GB)
GPU: nVidia GeForce 7950 GX2 1GB
MOBO: ASUS P7P55D

If anyone needs any more information I'll be glad to provide it.

Thanks so much anyone who can help me out of this annoying mess. I'm trying to apply to University and I can't write any application letters because of these issues!

Old April 19th, 2010, 11:25 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Hi Iceman87. Providing your Win7 installation was from genuine media, your problem is almost certainly hardware related and this is not an area I can assist with beyond the basics. You will need to post a new topic in our Hardware Forum if the replies to this topic dont help you.

A good start would be to run the Driver Verifier tool to make sure you havent installed any unsigned drivers (although Win7 should prevent this happening unless you have disabled the integrity check in the registry). You can also check for older drivers that may need updating.

To do this, click the Start menu and type “verifier.exe” in the "Search Programs and Files" box. Verifier.exe will appear at the top of the Menu. Rightclick on it and choose "Run as Administrator".

Click on “Create standard settings” and then click Next. In the next window, click on “Automatically select unsigned drivers” and click Finish.
The results will show a list of the unsigned drivers on your system. If any appear, either update them or uninstall the software that installed them.

If the problem persists, check to see if your system is using drivers that are meant for an older version of Windows (e.g. Windows XP). Click on “Create standard settings” and then click Next and select “Automatically select drivers built for older versions of Windows” and click on Finish. The results will now show you all drivers that are intended for older versions of Windows. Once again, I suggest that you update them or uninstall the software that installed them.
Old April 20th, 2010, 12:40 AM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Thanks for the fast reply AnnMarie.

This is a genuine copy of Win7.

I ran the verifier as request and no unsigned drivers are present.

I haven't even had time to install any

Will post in Hardware as well. Thanks so much.
Old April 20th, 2010, 06:38 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
You are very welcome and good luck.