Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old December 4th, 2009, 02:50 PM

Computer restart every time i insert an installation disc

hello

i have had this problem for days now and im now out of ideas. I just recently upgraded to windows 7, which was working perfectly fine. On one ocassion though i connected my laptop to my LCD tv to watch a movie, via media center(a bit stupid i know) .Having done that the my computer just frooze(or was workin very slowly) causing me to force a restart. From that time onwards it was no longer working normally (could not change background, loading time slower etc), therefore i decided to reload windows 7.

I load my windows 7 cd which did the intial part of the installation normally. It had to restart of which it did. then arose the problem.

After showing the "windows starting" page it shows the mouse pointer(which you can move around) it then flashes and shows the mouse pointer again in the middle of the screen, afterwards it then restarts.

This has been happin with all the windows cd i have, that have a boot from the cd feature(windows vista, windows 7 recovery etc). my ubuntu cd works however...so i dont think its a hardware problem, but could be.(dont know anymore)

Please do help, i have no idea whats wrong....i just want my system to run normally again
Old December 5th, 2009, 06:01 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Hi walis and welcome. Are you able to boot into Windows? If not, have you tried booting into Safe Mode? If this works, open My Computer, rightclick on your drive and select Properties > Tools. Look for Error Checking and click "Check Now". Select both "Automatically fix file system errors" and the "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors" options and click Start.

You will get a warning that Windows can't complete the tests until you reboot so reboot and chkdsk will start.

Stage 4 can be very slow and the progress bar may not appear for quite a few minutes so please be patient.

PS, back up any important data to removable media first because if there is a problem with your HDD, chkdsk will put stress the drive and might hasten it's demise.

You can view the log in Event Viewer. Hit the Windows key plus r and type:

eventvwr.msc

and ok. Click on Windows Logs > Application and look for wininit. Doubleclick to open and you should see the results. Please copy and paste them here.
Old December 5th, 2009, 08:56 PM

Hello AnnMarie

firstly i would like to say thank you for the reply to my post...

i did try what you suggested , went to my computer, right clicked the drive with the windows system, properties, tools and then Error Checking..... it then said it could not check the disk will in use, gave me an option of scheduling one for the next time my computer started....of which i said yes.

Upon restarting my system, it did nothing, just loaded up windows as normal....i went back to my computer to try again but still to no avail.

thank you in advance for your help....

p.s F8 is also not working on boot up
Old December 6th, 2009, 12:16 AM
CTH Subscriber

You may have corrupted files. Try running the System File Checker. Click on Start and type cmd in the "Search programs and files" box. Cmd.exe will appear at the top of the Menu. Rightclick on it and choose "Run as Administrator". Once the Command Prompt opens, type "sfc /scannow" without the quotes and hit Enter. The System File Checker will start. It might take a while to complete so be patient. Reboot when it has completed and let us know if this helped.
Old December 6th, 2009, 06:27 PM

hello again AnnMarie

i have already tried that about twice (advice from other peers) did not seem to change anything.....
Old December 6th, 2009, 11:56 PM
CTH Subscriber

I see. Can you advise what steps you have already tried to avoid us wasting time posting duplicate information please.