Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Closed Topic

Topic Tools
Old November 2nd, 2009, 09:24 AM
Banned

online backup needed

I just had a severe problem with my 6 months old hard disk and don't want to take any chances to lose data. I already have an external HD on which I back up the more important files but it's a real pain, and I can't do it every day. So now I have decided to opt for a online backup service. Can anybody recommend a reliable back up service?
Old November 2nd, 2009, 01:53 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
The two main ones that I am aware of are Carbonite and Mozy. They are both almost the same in the way they work and their cost. Carbonite is paid for yearly and Mozy can be paid for on a monthly basis if need be. They both work in the background.

I have Carbonite right now. It works in the background and I never know it's there. When my new computer arrives, I am thinking about trying Mozy (mostly because I can. ). Either one will do the job you want to do.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 05:40 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_Dave View Post
I just had a severe problem with my 6 months old hard disk and don't want to take any chances to lose data. I already have an external HD on which I back up the more important files but it's a real pain, and I can't do it every day. So now I have decided to opt for a online backup service. Can anybody recommend a reliable back up service?
Do you know you can schedule backups with win7 and forget about it, until needed.

http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/0...ackup-overview

To answer your question, as far as online service reviews see the following.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2288745,00.asp

One thing to consider, uploading is very, very slow so if you are regularly updating files and have a lot of them, this is something you need to consider. Also it could affect your online activities if your isp has bandwidth limits
Old November 2nd, 2009, 07:07 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Also I think the professional and ultimate versions of Windows 7 have a built in sync feature (normal Windows backup is useful but there is no option to automatically overwrite backups I don't think).
Old November 3rd, 2009, 06:25 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Thanks for the suggestions guys but Linda_Dave and the person who last replied (post has been deleted) are part of a spam tag team. I'm sorry that your time was wasted but maybe others will benefit from your good faith replies. I'm going to close this topic to prevent any unwanted posts from bots.
Closed Topic