Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old October 28th, 2009, 12:52 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Question about running Windows 7 first time.

My new Windows 7 PC should be here in about a week. And I'm paranoid.

Since I will be the only person using it, I won't need to set up any different accounts and I won't need a password. Plus I want to be sure that I am the highest administrator possible on the system. Being completely unfamiliar with Windows 7 (except for the 3 minutes I played with it at Staples ), when I run the computer for the first time, will it give me all of these options in a way that I won't screw it completely up? If it makes any difference, I will have Home Premium.
Old October 28th, 2009, 04:42 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
You will find Win7 is very simple to use. A lot of features still work like winxp - may just have a different look. I do not think anyone with common sense would have any problems with it other than possible drivers since it is a new os.

Make sure you have all of your keys and serial numbers of any software you currently have installed.
Old October 29th, 2009, 11:43 PM

You will be prompted for your logon name when the PC starts to load for the first time and you will be expected to enter a password but that account will naturally have Administrative permissions.
If you then want to bypass the password entry so that Windows 7 loads without asking for a password, try the following:
- Press "R" while holding down the [Windows] key.
- Enter "userpasswords2" into the 'Run' box then press [Return].
- Look for an option "Users must enter a user name and password...", un-tick it then select [OK].
- When prompted for your password (this is the last time you will be asked), enter it correctly then select [OK].
You will not be asked for the password again as Windows has now saved it for you. At next boot, the desktop will appear without any logon.

HTH.
Old November 1st, 2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by home4tea View Post
You will be prompted for your logon name when the PC starts to load for the first time and you will be expected to enter a password but that account will naturally have Administrative permissions.
You mean I can't just hit Enter without entering a password like I did with XP? Since I am the only one that will use the computer other than occasionally if my kids come over, I don't need, nor want a password just to start my own computer. I don't really understand why I should go through some process to undo something that I really shouldn't have to do in the first place.
Old November 1st, 2009, 03:17 PM

Even though you may be the only user, it's a good idea to have administrator account and a standard user account. You should never run your computer and do day-to-day work on an account with admin privilages. When you setup your computer for the first time, the first account will be for an administrator.

http://unixwiz.net/techtips/win7-limited-user.html

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...02(WS.10).aspx
Old November 1st, 2009, 03:21 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Well, I don't know 'how old' your kids or possibly grandkids may be? But if I was the primary user w/ a chance that 'someone' else, esp. young kids or teens, could just sit down and start using my computer (in my absence), then I would certainly have the computer password-protected, even w/ a simple easily remembered one.

Also, if your grandkids (if applicable) could be left w/ the machine unsupervised, then you should consider using the 'parental control' options that may be available w/ W7 or another non-Windows product.

Now, this may not be a major issue for you, but certainly is likely one for many. Good luck w/ your new computer - I'm planning to replace my 'old' XP box next spring!
Old November 1st, 2009, 06:33 PM

I've been reading through this link that was provided...
http://unixwiz.net/techtips/win7-limited-user.html
...and I've got to say...This whole Admin account vs. Regular user account thing has me somewhat confused since I never bothered with it in XP.

If I create a standard user account in addition to the Administrator account, will I, as the standard user, be able to install and uninstall programs or make adjustments to programs? As an example, if I use Firefox, will I, as a standard user, be able to add things like new themes and add-ons to it? Or is that where the UAC thing comes into play?

The last thing I want to do is lock myself out of my own machine like the guy at the link did. If he, knowing what he is doing, can manage to do that, I have no doubts that I can.
Old November 1st, 2009, 06:54 PM
CTH Subscriber

I can confuse you more since the default admin account is not a true admin account but I wont do it

I will just say do whatever you feel comfortable with doing. Unless you keep financial data on it, you have little to worry except maybe a family member doing something that causes malware to take over your computer. Once you have win 7 setup the way you want it, just create a backup by going to your control panel then backup then schedule a backup every so often.

Make sure you have taken the proper security measures like a firewall, active antivirus and antispyware utilities.

To answer your question about the standard user account, yes you can install and uninstall programs. You can make some setting changes. It will tell you when you cannot.
Old November 1st, 2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade600 View Post
I can confuse you more since the default admin account is not a true admin account but I wont do it
You just did. If the first account that the machine sets up when I first start it is not a true admin account, when does that get set up? And what's the difference?

If I recall correctly, the reason I didn't bother with a second user account in XP is because I tried it once, but I could never figure out how to get such things as my firewall, antivirus and Firefox to show up in the second account without downloading everything twice. It may be as easy as can be, but to this day I can't figure it out.
Old November 1st, 2009, 07:52 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezit View Post
You just did. If the first account that the machine sets up when I first start it is not a true admin account, when does that get set up? And what's the difference?

If I recall correctly, the reason I didn't bother with a second user account in XP is because I tried it once, but I could never figure out how to get such things as my firewall, antivirus and Firefox to show up in the second account without downloading everything twice. It may be as easy as can be, but to this day I can't figure it out.
I should have never mentioned it, I guess I did to have a bit of fun...basically it is a super account to keep those who dont what they are doing away from making certain changes. Most likely you will never need it.

After reading your post, I realized I never setup a user account in vista nor win7 so I had to do it real quick and played with it for a couple of minutes.

When you setup the user account, you will get access to all of the installed programs that were installed in the admin account. I noticed the settings for my antivirus stayed the same and was running when I boot into the user account.

You can download and install programs in the user account. Depending upon the program, you may be able to set it up just for that one user or all users, including admin.

You can manage what the users can or cannot do by clicking on parental control in your admin account - it is a catch all and looks like it is very useful. It is very easy to use and looks like it is very self explanatory.

Just go to your control panel, click on the user accounts, create a new account and mess around with it. You can always delete it later. You can assign or not assign a password for it. I did not on my test user account and had no problems getting on.
Old November 7th, 2009, 05:25 PM

Here I am, coming to you from Windows 7. Boy is this going to take some getting used to.

The first and foremost question (among about a zillion ) is how do I go about activating it or registering it, or whatever it's called, so that the computer doesn't turn into a boat anchor in 30 days? I did a search for "activation" and I clicked on the "activate windows" link and a window came up that said it was successful. Is that all there is to it?

I ask because I seem to remember that when I activated XP, it wanted my name and all the rest of that, but maybe that was something else altogether. I've slept since then.
Old November 7th, 2009, 06:37 PM

If it said it's activated, then that's it.

If you prefer to check, as I did, open Control Panel then System and it should report "Windows is activated" at the bottom of the window, as it does in Vista.