Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old October 8th, 2009, 02:57 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
Windows 7 Ultimate, which to buy?

I am thinking of buying Windows 7 Ultimate to use on my current computer that is now running XP Pro.
I am trying to figure out whether I should buy the upgrade version which is much cheaper than the full version, but I'm wondering if the upgrade can be moved over to a new computer later on.
I'm assuming that the full version can be used on a newer computer if the previous computer that it was installed on is retired.
Please let me know if I'm correct in my thinking that it might be better for me to pay for the full version so that it can be used on a new computer later on.
Old October 9th, 2009, 05:37 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 11
Quote:
thinking of buying Windows 7 Ultimate to use on my current computer that is now running XP Pro
The Windows 7 Ultimate upgrade only applies to systems running Windows Vista Ultimate.
The only way to bring a Windows XP Professional system to Windows 7 Ultimate is to
purchase a full Windows 7 Ultimate.
Quote:
wondering if the upgrade can be moved over to a new computer later on
Only if you have both DVDs for each operating system. The hard drive could be moved over but
a technician would have to do the swapping seeing how it’s a much more involved maneuver.
Quote:
I'm assuming that the full version can be used on a newer computer if the previous computer that it was installed on is retired.
License-wise yes. One license (serial number), one computer.

Some Windows 7 upgrade FAQ here at Microsoft.
We also have a "sticky" thread here in the Windows 7 forum showing upgrade options.
Old October 9th, 2009, 12:42 PM

Thanks for the great explanation Spider, now I just have to come up with the $$$.
Old October 9th, 2009, 03:28 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
IMO, unless you need the additional security features such as bitlocker, you do not need ultimate. In most cases all you need is Premium or at the most professional.

see the following comparison chart from Microsoft

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...oducts/compare
Old October 9th, 2009, 06:38 PM

Thanks Renegade, I've been comparing features on the Pro and Ultimate versions, and also pricing on both versions. I see that Pro full version is going for $299 and Ultimate full version for $319. That's a pretty small difference, and unless things change I bet that people will probably spend the extra $20 for the Ultimate.
Old October 10th, 2009, 01:10 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 11
Windows 7 needs a bit more of a hardware system that the average Windows XP hardware system.
Before you buy something you may not be able to operate properly do your homework.

For Windows 7 there is a program Microsoft distributes (for free) called Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor.
You run it on your computer and it tells you if Windows 7 will function properly. It examines all the
hardware capabilities and gives you a report when it’s finished.

I have a personal opinion on the minimum RAM amount for Windows 7 and that is 2GB minimum.
Old October 10th, 2009, 01:18 AM

Thanks Spider, I'm already running Windows 7 64 bit RC on a second hard drive, and haven't had any problems with it.
I've got 3GB of RAM in this computer.
Old October 10th, 2009, 01:29 AM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPR512 View Post
Thanks Renegade, I've been comparing features on the Pro and Ultimate versions, and also pricing on both versions. I see that Pro full version is going for $299 and Ultimate full version for $319. That's a pretty small difference, and unless things change I bet that people will probably spend the extra $20 for the Ultimate.
naw, the 20 bucks could go to a few angus burger deluxes from micky d's :-)

serously, I ordered the pro when there was a prerelease special a couple of months ago when it was 99 bucks. Keep your eyes open for more specials between now and when it is released. There should be more.
Old October 10th, 2009, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade600 View Post
naw, the 20 bucks could go to a few angus burger deluxes from micky d's :-)

serously, I ordered the pro when there was a prerelease special a couple of months ago when it was 99 bucks. Keep your eyes open for more specials between now and when it is released. There should be more.
I had one of the Angus burgers a few weeks ago with sauteed mushrooms, tomatoes and onions on it and it was pretty darn good. Last week I decided to have another and it was lousy so I'll spend my $20 at Dairy Queen next time.

Did you get the full version for $99? If so I wish that I had seen been paying attention, because I would've jumped on that too.
Old October 10th, 2009, 06:03 AM
CTH Subscriber

I just get the deluxe but if there were a dairy queen in my town I would go there. It is unbelievable that a town with a population of 60k does not have a diary queen and several smaller towns around have one - just too inconvenient to drive to.

I forgot to mention that it is the upgrade version but it was still 100 bucks cheaper because of the special.
Old October 10th, 2009, 12:26 PM

I forgot to mention that it is the upgrade version but it was still 100 bucks cheaper because of the special.
I'm going to hang loose and wait for a deal on the full Pro version.
Old October 24th, 2009, 01:16 PM

dont buy upgrade buy the full version as these upgrade ones never work correctly and do a fresh intall. Plus you have got the full version should you have a crash mate
Old October 24th, 2009, 01:39 PM
CTH Subscriber

the upgrade disks work correctly when used properly.

As far as needing the full version when you have a crash, that is false. As long as you have a backup or the disks for the justifying os that you used to install the os, you should have no problems.
Old October 24th, 2009, 01:43 PM

so you have had no left overs of your old os i bet you have
Old October 24th, 2009, 02:47 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyoaks777 View Post
so you have had no left overs of your old os i bet you have
nope, absolutely nothing...except the windows.old folder. And it was meant to be.

I am not going to get into a debate with you just because you had some issues with YOUR upgrade. Not everyone has issues when they use the upgrade - some do - but NOT everyone.

Last edited by renegade600; October 24th, 2009 at 02:50 PM.