Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old October 26th, 2009, 12:14 PM

Help with Windows 7 upgrade

Okay here it goes. I bought a laptop that was eligible for the Windows 7 upgrade and I recieved a disk for Windows 7 home premium. I went home and tried to upgrade my Vista desktop with Windows 7 as well. I don't know if I was supposed to do that, but it didnt say anywhere on the box that I could not. But anywho I started the install on my desktop and left home for like a hour, when I returned home I found that my desktop had a black screen and a the cursor was still visible. So after like 15 minutes of starring at the black screen I forced shut down the computer and tried to start the computer in safe mode. it says "installation cannot complete in safe mode, please restart your computer" Once I click okay it will say installation will resume after computer is restarted. So it restarts and the Windows 7 starting windows appears and then it turns into a black screen. I have tried to hit f8 to recover but it says there are no restore points and it will also not boot from my recovery disks that were created by geek squad when I purchased the computer. What can I try now?? Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

I have a gateway Gateway® LX4710-01 With Home premium 64 bit.
I am not sure if any additional information is needed, if so please let me know I really don't know what else to do

Thank you soo much,
MrsFenwick
Old October 26th, 2009, 08:53 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Mrs Fenwick,

Interesting problem. Firstly, no you are not supposed to upgrade anything other than the laptop that the upgrade came with; the upgrade is for that machine only. So, what we need to do is get you back to running Vista on your desktop machine.

Please bear in mind that I cannot see your PC and may have to guess a little.
I suggest we take this one step at a time.

The machine keeps trying to progress with the upgrade. This is probably because the BOOT.INI file has been set to (a) launch/continue the upgrade program at boot and (b) not allow you time to select otherwise. If we can modify the BOOT.INI file then we may be able to break the cycle.

So, let's see if we can boot the PC from the Vista CD. You said that the PC doesn't do this but didn't say what happens. I am going to assume that the PC is set to boot from the hard disk first ... because we may be able to fix that ;-)

When the PC boots, look for messages (usually at the bottom of the first black screen) showing function key numbers (F1, F2...F12) or [Del] or [Delete] and a word/term next to each. Ideally we are looking for 'Boot options' (or similar). If you can see it, select the key for that option before the PC boots and Windows tries to upgrade again. If you don't get it the first time, try again.

A new screen should appear offering you some devices to boot the PC from. You need to identiy the DVD/CD-ROM drive from that list. Typically it will have 'CD' or 'DVD' in its name. Use the arrow keys to move down to the correct entry. Insert the installation/recovery disk then, with the correct entry highlighted, press the [Return/Enter] key. Hopefully the PC will boot from the CD. Where we go from there depends upon the options you are given.

If, at the initial black screen, you cannot see 'Boot options', look instead for 'BIOS' or 'Settings' or 'Setup'. If you can get one of these to work, I will need you to tell me the menu options shown so that we can select the correct one. It's probably going to be called 'Boot' (or similar).

That's enough to be going on with.
Old October 26th, 2009, 10:17 PM

I owe you big time

Thank you thank you I did exactly as you instructed and now my computer is successfully recovering.

Thank you So much,
Melissa
Old October 26th, 2009, 10:43 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Excellent news. Glad to help.

All I need to know now is how we close this thread ... no idea.