Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old October 28th, 2009, 10:24 AM

Win 7 Qs?

Hi
I just returned a HP Vista Basic laptop and now got a Acer Win 7 Premium, wow what a difference clapping.
Q1, There is no Windows Mail ( old OE) on here, only Windows LIVE Mail, so what is the best to get, I liked OE as there I could save mails for multiple sendings.(ie CV/Job app)
Q2, The Ram on vista was runnng at 40% even when doing nothing, Win 7 is doing the same? Is this normal?
Q3,Is it possible to find out if this machine was upgraded from Vista to Win 7 by manufacturer, tho I asked and was told it was not?
Q4,This laptop has something called Tablet PC Input Panel, I played with it abit, but cannot see the reason for this?? I originally thought this was installed on the wrong type of machine Any help?
Q5,In Vista you have the gadget bar on the screen, but not on Win 7, can this be done by a workaround?

If anyone has found out little tricks or stuff to download please let me know.

Thanks in advance.
Neil the Novice wacko.gif
Old October 28th, 2009, 07:01 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Hi Neil,

In no particular order:

Gadget info' can be found here.

Tablet PC info' from here.

If your Operating system was upgraded, there may be a 'Windows.old' folder on (probably) your 'C:' Drive. One option to check this would be to right-click your C: Drive > Properties > Disk Cleanup and look for an entry named 'Previous Windows installation(s)'

Unlike OE, Windows Live Mail does not have seperate identities but it can connect to other clients such as Hotmail, GMail or mail from your ISP. There is an alternative that also has these features and will send/receive different accounts and that is Thunderbird.

I guess whatever the amount of RAM you have installed and the number of applications running in the background could have an affect on how much memory is being used. My machine is currently using 24% of physical memory. That is with five tabs open in my browser and another two applications open. If I open up Paint Shop Pro and run a small HD video, that figure rises to 32%. So I would say 40% idle is a tad excessive.