Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old August 29th, 2008, 12:51 AM

HP Pavilion ze4600 laptop won't boot up into Windows xp. Only able to boot safe mode.

Hello,
My HP Pavilion ze4600 Laptop won't start up into Windows xp. I push the power button, and it looks normal, Then it goes past the windows loading scrolling bar, then right about before it gets to the login screen, it just shuts off and does nothing. It is able to boot up into safe mode just fine. I also went into msconfig and unchecked all startup items. (same problem). I replaced the ram with a 512 stick. (from 256). Thanks to anybody who can help me.
Old August 30th, 2008, 03:36 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Hi Jeepsburg. When you say you unchecked all startup items, did you also disable all third party services?
Old August 30th, 2008, 09:40 PM

Resolved :d

Not exactly quite sure what was wrong with it but I will give you guys a small write-up.

HP Pavilion ze4600 - Would only boot up to right before the login screen than it would shut down. Could only boot up into Safe mode. I than decided to see what would happen if I just hit esc and enter without stopping. It then got to the part where it just shut down, but after that it would only turn on for about a half second. (not enough time to even get in the CMOS). I then held in the reset button on the bottom of the laptop twice for thirty seconds each time. I was then able to get into the CMOS and change the drive boot sequence from DVD first to HD first. I was then able to boot up into Windows just fine after saving the changes I made in the CMOS.

PLEASE back-up your data before trying any of this (I was able to back up my data in Safe mode) if you are having a similar problem.

I also tried putting in more memory (it only had 256 MB in it), but that did not fix it.
I tried un-checking all the start-up items in msconfig, but that did not work.
I tried system restore, to a date that I knew the problem was after, and that did not work either
A HD self check also showed/did nothing.

Hope this helps anyone having a simular problem. Jon T.

Last edited by Jeepsburg; August 30th, 2008 at 10:12 PM.
Old August 30th, 2008, 09:45 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
since you are able to get into safemode, try doing a system restore to a restore point date prior to the problem.
Old August 31st, 2008, 05:01 AM
CTH Subscriber

Sounds like your problem might be a driver conflict. Does your DVD drive function correctly. If you have a bootable disk, can you boot from it?
Old August 31st, 2008, 01:34 PM

Maybe

That may be the problem. I did check the Device Manager in Safe Mode, but I heard that sometimes it does not show you what could be wrong if your in safe mode. Thanks, I'll check it out though. Jon T.
Old August 31st, 2008, 11:49 PM
CTH Subscriber

You might need to physically test the drive too and you are welcome.