Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old January 7th, 2006, 03:44 AM

Lots of missing text, blank start button, blank system restore calender

Hey everyone,

Need some help. My computer has gone quacky . Here's the many bizarre symptoms:

-The first signs were in Outlook. When I brought up the main inbox menu the subjects of messages showed up blank, then on the right sidebar the subject would should up but not the message (I had to bring up the message in another window to be able to read it).

-My start button was blank... okay, I can live with that. However, windows restarted my computer for a Microsoft update in the middle of the night and when it rebooted, the taskbar was automatically set to take up half the screen. I lowered it only to notice that the (still blank) start button takes up the whole taskbar so I can bring up program windows and my clock window can only be seen if I raise the taskbar again.

-I can't do a system restore because there's no text in the calender

-I can't search for files because there's no text in the search window

-It is exactly the same in Safe Mode

I ran virus, spyware, and diagnostics scans. They all turned up with nothing. Dell insists its a virus but nothing is showing up. I don't have my windows disk to run a repair so they're shipping me one but I just feel like there's more to be done then just a simple solution like what they're telling me.
Old January 7th, 2006, 09:34 PM
Banned

I would post a HiJackThis log in the Cyber Safety forum to see if any malware is causing this. Get HiJackThis from here.
http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html
Old January 7th, 2006, 10:18 PM

Posted the log

Posted a HiJackThis log in the CyberSafety forum like you said. It didn't seem to bring up anything unusual but I probably don't know what to look for so will wait and see what they say.

-Jett