Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old December 28th, 2005, 04:58 AM

scanner twain source problem

I have an Epson 1670 scanner hooked up to windows xp on my pc. Last week while trying to scan a picture I got a message saying
" scan could not be started could not open twain source make sure it is a valid source for the scanner.
I have never had any problems with this scanner in the 2 years I've owned it. I tried opening it from its software interface and got a message
"unable to start the scanner because it is not ready or another application is using it"
The scanner is ready and I can't think of any other programs that is using it. There might have been a problem with a Trojan virus I downloaded 3 weeks ago. I discovered it and had to purchase and install Doctor spyware to remove it. It removed it but I seem to recall some kind of twain source message that flashed across my screen at the time. Is there a connection? A friend said to go to device manager and uninstall the drivers, then go to windows twain directory folder and delete its contents. I went to device manager in the control panel and open the folder but it was blank, no scanner nothing just a blank folder. This got me thinking that it might be more than just a simple problem. any suggestions for the next step would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old December 28th, 2005, 06:03 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 11
Hi pursuant welcome to Cyber Tech Help.

If you find your Epson 1670 scanner CD you can reinstall the drivers from that.
Old December 28th, 2005, 05:05 PM

scanner problems

I don't think so, at least the 3 or 4 times I reinstalled the software it hasn't given me the option for just the drivers. I did go to the Epson site and get the latest drivers from there though. Do you think this could just be a driver problem?
Thanks again for your suggestion
Old December 29th, 2005, 12:24 AM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by pursuant
Do you think this could just be a driver problem?
With scanners it's the most common problem.

You want to...
  1. check Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel for and Epson Scanner items and uninstall
  2. Start
    Run...
    type msconfig click OK
    Startup(tab)
    uncheck any Epson Scanner items
    click OK
  3. unplug the scanner from the computer tower
  4. uninstall the drivers from Device Manager
  5. reboot normal
  6. install from Epson Scanner CD
  7. shut down
  8. plug scanner back into computer tower
  9. boot up
...then test scanner
Old December 29th, 2005, 01:41 AM

my device manager is empty, there are no items in it
Old December 29th, 2005, 02:58 AM

Thanks for your help. I did as you suggested. There were no epson items in the start up and as I said there was nothing in the device manager, epson or otherwise. I did get a slightly different message this time, it said" Server busy action cannot be completed because the other program is busy choose switch to to activate the busy program and correct the problem" I don't have another program using it so I don't know what to switch to and I don't know what program is busy...I am still confused why nothing shows up in device manager. Is there anything else you can suggest. I appreciate the assistance
Old December 29th, 2005, 07:21 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by pursuant
my device manager is empty, there are no items in it
Start
Run...
type servies.msc click OK
two-click Plug and Play
configure the Startup Type as Automatic and press OK
reboot