Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old April 27th, 2010, 07:08 PM

Desktop icons playing up

After using IE 32 bit I am unable to open programs using the desktop icons. I can use the taskbar items and the start menu. Also nothing happens when I right click on the desktop area. I have scanned the pc with AVG and search and destroy but they returned nothing. This only happens after using IE 32 bit and not after using IE 64 bit. Other account users dont have this problem. Hope someone can help. Thanks.
Old April 27th, 2010, 11:16 PM

O/S: MacOS
Hi Old Geezer and welcome

Im a bit confused. Are you using Internet Explorer (7 or 8), 32bit, on a 64bit system? If you have a 64 bit system then you should resume using IE 64bit.

I dont see how using a particular version of IE could affect your ability to open your programs etc though

Maybe I have misunderstood, in which case lets hope someone with more knowledge than me pops along

In the mean time, why not ditch IE (temporarily if you like) and download Google Chrome or Firefox and see how you get on with them
Old April 28th, 2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurestLight View Post
Hi Old Geezer and welcome

Im a bit confused. Are you using Internet Explorer (7 or 8), 32bit, on a 64bit system? If you have a 64 bit system then you should resume using IE 64bit.

I dont see how using a particular version of IE could affect your ability to open your programs etc though

Maybe I have misunderstood, in which case lets hope someone with more knowledge than me pops along

In the mean time, why not ditch IE (temporarily if you like) and download Google Chrome or Firefox and see how you get on with them
Hi PurestLight. Thank you for the welcome and sorry for the confusion. I am running windows 7 64 bit. IE 64 bit cannot use adobe flash player so I sometimes use IE 32bit for youtube etc. All was ok until a week ago. I have noticed when I shut down after using IE 32 bit a message appears saying "waiting for background programme to close". I cancel the shut down and check task mananger but there is nothing running. I have ran AVG and search and destroy which showed up nothing.
Thanks for taking the time to help.