Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old April 15th, 2010, 01:14 PM

Windows 7 repair

Hello

My friend's Toshiba Satellite L455-s5980 with Windows 7 Home Prem will not boot.
Not normal start up and not even in safe mode.
We also tried “Launch startup repair” but then we get the message “startup repair cannot repair this problem”
We tried “view advanced options” It gives us 2 choices “startup repair” and “Toshiba recovery wizard” we tried ‘startup repair “ but it still does not work.
We did not try “Toshiba recovery wizard” we don’t know want that will do? He does not want to lose any files and/or programs.
He thinks this was caused by a virus. But I posted this here because the PC will not even boot to Win 7

Thanks in advance for any help
Old April 15th, 2010, 06:38 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
what exactly is the problem - please be specific and include any error messages.
Old April 15th, 2010, 07:06 PM

Thank you for the reply.
The PC does not boot, sometimes it just freezes to black screen, sometimes it reboots, but most of the time it starts the "Repair" itself and after about 5 mins. then says:
“startup repair cannot repair this problem” and give us the choices I listed in the 1st thread
Quote:
We tried “view advanced options” It gives us 2 choices “startup repair” and “Toshiba recovery wizard” we tried ‘startup repair “ but it still does not work.
Thats the only error message.
Old April 15th, 2010, 08:14 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
See here for information regarding the Toshiba Recovery Wizard.

You may need to restore to factory default however we should try System Restore first. Is there a Repair your Computer option when you view the Advanced Boot Menu?

If so, restart again and tap F8 continuously as your computer restarts. Choose "Repair Your Computer" but this time, instead of running a Startup Repair (click Cancel if it attempts to run), click on "View advanced options for system recovery and support" and then click on System Restore. See here for a tutorial (it's the same procedure for W7). You are not booting from the DVD but Fig 4 onwards should apply.

Let us know how you get on.
Old April 16th, 2010, 12:59 AM

Thanks for the reply
When I attempted F8 and "repair your computer" the first time I got the Blue Screen and error
Stop: 0x0000008e (0x0000005, 0x8A126795, 0X86A345DC, 0X000000000) another time I got the Stop Error:BAD_POOL_HEADER error
and other times Driver IRQL Not Less or Equal,
Bad_Pool_Caller
and another time Memory_management

And now every time I try start the computer we just get a black screen with the arrow. I am able to move the arrow but nothing happens.
I tried at least 20 times Normal mode, safe mode, repair your computer
nothing works.
Old April 16th, 2010, 01:13 AM
CTH Subscriber

This sounds more like a hardware/RAM issue than software related and if this is the case, I cant help you. I can possibly help as far running System Restore and/or backing up files is concerned though but you will need a Win7 disk.

You can download a W7 Recovery disk from here, burn the iso to DVD and use it to boot into the Recovery Environment. You can try running System Restore from there (it's the same procedure for Windows 7). Let me know how you get on.
Old April 19th, 2010, 09:34 PM

I burned the W7 Recovery disk and tried to run the system restore feature from the recovery disk at least 10 times but I was only able to get to the System Recovery Options menu only once and when I tried to run system restore it said that there is a problem with system restore, all the other times it gave me a
PROCESS_INITIALIZATION_FAILED or
MEMEORY_MANAGEMENT ERROR
Old April 19th, 2010, 10:39 PM
CTH Subscriber

Hi faceman, I am 99% certain that the problems are hardware related. Start by checking the RAM. If you need help with this, please post a new topic in the Hardware Forum.
Old April 23rd, 2010, 02:24 PM

Thank you for your help
I checked the RAM and the RAM is bad.
So I will swap it with some good RAM and hopefully that should solve the problem.
Thanks again
Old April 24th, 2010, 12:32 AM
CTH Subscriber

Hi faceman, I'm glad you sorted it out. Thanks for the update.