Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old November 23rd, 2009, 02:44 PM

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
Upgrade to Windows 7 on system with Vista recovery partitions

I am intending to perform an in-place upgrade of Windows 7 Home premium from Vista Home premium (both 32-bit).
However I have on my HP laptop two partitions, one 9 GB partition called HP recovery and a 1GB partition called HP Tools.
My question is whether I can still perform an in-place upgrade and Windows 7 will either delete these partitions or just ignore them and proceed to install onto the main system partition. I'm sure this is a common issue as many new PCs come with recovery partitions instead of supplying a recovery Cd/DVD.
Or will I have to perform a clean install, which I really don't want to have to do, not from lack of tech knowledge, just all the hassle that goes with a clean install.
Finally, would i somehow be able to set up a dual-boot configuration with Vista and Windows 7, as I have a few apps that are not compatible with Windows 7 but would still like to use.

Thanks, Phil
Old November 23rd, 2009, 04:16 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
if you are doing the upgrade bit, you will no longer will be able to legally use that version of vista. You used it to justify installing the upgrade version of windows 7.

In addition for the upgrade version of win7 to be installed, you will have to have vista installed and activated. Once win7 is installed the vista key will no longer be valid.

Windows 7 will not automatically delete your partitions. It will install in the drive your current os is in or one that you indicate during the installation. Your other partitions will still be there, you can either keep them or delete them later.

Last edited by renegade600; November 23rd, 2009 at 11:56 PM.
Old November 23rd, 2009, 06:14 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
It sounds to me like you may want to revisit Why you are upgrading. If you still have programs you want to use that are not compatible should you even be upgrading. Are there specific functions you need that win 7 has or is it just for the sake of upgrading. I have a good article about this subject on my website you should read it. Hope this helps. Good Luck.