Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old October 29th, 2009, 12:08 AM

Question More questions about which Win7 to get...

Hi, I heard somewhere that there would be a free upgrade to Win7 from Vista Home Premium 64 but I can't find anything on it online about it.

We have 3 computers,
a laptop with WinXP Professional
a desktop with WinXP Home Premium
a laptop with Vista Home Premium64.

If I buy the family 3 PC edition, would it be a full clean install for all 3 systems or an upgrade? Also, is there a limit as to how many times Win7 could be re-installed?
Also, I have read that Win7 Ultimate would be the best way to go. The 3 PC pack has a lesser version. Is there a big difference?
I'm really confused at this point and appreciate your opinions. Thanks
Old October 29th, 2009, 01:20 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Quote:
If I buy the family 3 PC edition, would it be a full clean install for all 3 systems or an upgrade? Also, is there a limit as to how many times Win7 could be re-installed?
Also, I have read that Win7 Ultimate would be the best way to go. The 3 PC pack has a lesser version. Is there a big difference?
I'm really confused at this point and appreciate your opinions. Thanks
You can get a free upgrade to the equivalent Windows 7 edition of your Vista OS if you bought it very recently, either pre-installed or standalone; there should have been a coupon with your PC/copy of the OS.

I think the family pack is just for upgrades(from XP or Vista).

There is not technically a limit to the number of times a retail version of the OS may be reinstalled, but don't overdo it. Microsoft can probably tell if you're reinstalling on the same computer, so you should be good for all the activations you need if it's just the one workstation. If you're going to be moving it around (uninstalling from one machine and onto another), Microsoft are probably going to get suspicious and possibly deny activations if it happens too often.

Personally I would not bother with ultimate. For home use, I'd stick with Home Premium, unless you have a real, regular need for features like Remote Desktop (and there are many other programs out there which can achieve this). Despite not having the much touted "Windows XP mode", Home Premium still has compatibility mode for 95/98/XP/Vista, just not a full virtual environment.

Remember to ask yourself the question do you actually need/want Windows 7. It does have a lot of good features, but the average user probably need not upgrade.

Last edited by michael123; October 29th, 2009 at 01:25 AM.
Old November 5th, 2009, 11:56 AM

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
I have just installed Windows 7 Home Premium and I have'nt found anything I can't do that I did on XP Pro Or Vista