Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows 98

Notices

Windows 98 Problem solving for the Windows 98 Operating System

Topic Tools
Old October 31st, 2007, 03:07 AM

free disc space,memory, and free system resources

In 'my computer', c disc, properties, it says I used 5.54GB and have left 2.38 GB. The capacity is 7.85GB. How does that fit in with system performance in control panel saying system resources are 82% free and that I also have a memory of 160 MB RAM? It came with 64 but more was added to total 160 (how is the 7.85 GB related to 160 MB memory?). When I look at the disc cleanup it says I would only free up to 3.74 MB which seems negligible to giving me significantly more disc space. I haven't really downloaded much(or so I think) so what is taking up so much space? How many MB's of disc space does the software that came with windows 98 take up . Maybe you could tell me some key words that I could type in the 'search' function of this forum to study these issues. thank you.
Old October 31st, 2007, 11:37 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
The C drive properties tells you how much space is on the hard drive, how much is used and how much is free (empty). Whatever is written to the hard drive stays there until erased.

RAM stands for Random Access Memory and is hardware separate from the hard drive. It's the "fast" memory used when actually doing something. Whatever is in that memory is lost when the computer is turned off.

Windows 98 uses about a half a gig (400 to 500 MB) of hard drive space.

According to your figures, Disk Cleanup would free up a little over a gig of space on the hard drive (by deleting temporary and other unneeded files). That's not an insignificant amount on an 8 gig drive.

Music, pictures and videos are three types of files that can use up quite a bit of space on the hard drive.
Old November 1st, 2007, 01:22 AM

I have a c-it camera and took about a 10 minute video and it played back when I clicked it using the c-it 'album' function. I suppose that was recorded on the hard disc because I had no floppy or CD in any slots. Is that right? Do you know about how much of the hard disc space that took up? Could that be using a lot of the disc space? I right clicked the file or whatever you call it in the 'album' function then clicked delete. Shouldn't that have taken it off of my hard disc. If not, how would I take it off the drive? Thank you
Old November 1st, 2007, 12:05 PM

Deleting files sends them to the Recycle Bin. If you've emptied that, then the file is for all intents and purposes gone from the drive.

Have you run Disk Defragmenter recently?
Old November 3rd, 2007, 02:48 AM

my disc defrag gets stuck at 81 percent done. I'll try running it again. Do you or anyone know how to put c-it videos on a floppy or cd?
Old November 3rd, 2007, 03:16 AM

Run Scan Disk (on the same menu as Disk Defragmenter) and then try defragging again.

No, I don't mess with videos much (or at all). Try posting your question about videos in the Applications forum. Be sure to include that you're using Windows 98.
Old November 3rd, 2007, 02:14 PM

The defrag worked this time but the scandisc won't complete. I get a message saying scandisc had to restart 10 times probably because I have a program running and if I stiop that prg. it will complete faster. I have no programs running that I can see and if I let it keep running the same thing happens. It will restart10 times then I'll get the same message. I'll try it again but if you have any suggestions please let me know.
Old November 17th, 2007, 12:56 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
I had the same problem with defraging .I found that if I do, Ctrl , Alt,delete to bring up the program that are running and End Task on all ButExporer and Systray that the defrag run better.
Old November 18th, 2007, 06:36 PM

One often overlooked item that interferes with scandisk and defragmenting is the screensaver. Anything that writes to the disk will interfere with either. The easiest way around the problem is to run them in safe mode.
Rick