Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 11

Notices

Windows 11 Problem solving for the Windows 11 Operating System.

Topic Tools
Old November 13th, 2021, 06:10 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Is your Computer Ready for Windows 11?

With Windows 11 release a couple weeks ago, many computers cannot run it. It seams that MS decided that your system must have certain hardware to get the FREE upgrade to Windows 11. Specifically; UEFI, Secure Boot capable and TPM (Trusted Platform Module -version 2)

You can run the Windows 11 Checker by downloading it here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wind...#pchealthcheck

Also there is a list of Processors that support Windows 11:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...tel-processors

Also here:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...r-requirements

As you can see not all Intel processors will support Win 11, I was running a i7-2600K and it did not support it.

So lets look at what is "Secure Boot";

Secure Boot is an important security feature designed to prevent malicious software from loading when your PC starts up (boots). Most modern PCs are capable of Secure Boot, but in some instances, there may be settings that cause the PC to appear to not be capable of Secure Boot. These settings can be changed in the PC firmware. Firmware, often called BIOS (Basic Input/Output System), is the software that starts up before Windows when you first turn on your PC.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...f-843abef64fad

What is TPM:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...7-ae6b0c90645c

New features of Windows 11 vs Windows 10:

1. Windows 11 removes some features from Windows 10. You can no longer sync your desktop wallpaper, Internet Explorer and the Math Input panel are gone, and a few apps are also removed. Those apps are 3D viewer, OneNote for Windows 10, Paint 3D, and Skype.

2. Moves start menu to center of screen, however you can move it back to the left; Settings>Personalization>Taskbar>Taskbar Behaviors>Taskbar Alignment

3. Can download Android Apps

4. Better Virtual Desktops

5. Snap Groups and Snap Layouts:
https://www.digitaltrends.com/comput...ps-windows-11/

Since my home built system was several years old and did not support Windows 11, I upgraded to a AMD4 Motherboard, Ryzen 5600G processor.
Installed Windows 11 and still learning but am very satisfied with it. As usual MS will dis-continue support for Windows 10 in 2025

If you have any tips please post them here.
Old January 18th, 2022, 04:58 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Hey Mr Murf, after having W11 on your PC for a while, how are you liking/not liking it? Would it be worth upgrading from W10 to it now, or do you think it needs to be improved more, by MS?
Old January 19th, 2022, 01:01 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
For my system not too much different from Windows 10, some of the features I do not like so had to tweak it. Appears to run just as fast, maybe a tad faster than Win 10. Not sure what all the hoopla was about as I don't think there was much improvement over Window 10. Who ever wrote the code must of had a dumb ass day, for example the Start menu and any Icons were put in the middle of the taskbar DUH...Why, found a way to move them back to the left.

But if you want to pin your Taskbar to the right or the left of the screen, then we have bad news. You can no longer do that natively, as in Windows 11, the Taskbar only stays on the bottom. Paid third-party apps like Start11 can change it if you want, however.

Also You can no longer sync your desktop wallpaper, Internet Explorer and the Math Input panel are gone, and a few apps are also removed. Those apps are 3D viewer, OneNote for Windows 10, Paint 3D, and Skype. You can still find those in the store, though.

If you’re a gamer, note that Windows 11 has some exclusive features catered to you. Auto HDR makes your games look more vibrant, and Direct Storage helps your graphics card and SSD communicate faster.

Other performance changes in Windows 11 touch on the way your PC resumes from sleep and handles standby time. Versus Windows 10, Microsoft mentioned that in Windows 11, your RAM can stay energized when the PC is in sleep mode, so it has power while everything else doesn’t. This will help your PC wake faster up to 25% faster from sleep.

Bottom Line: I would not be in a hurry to upgrade, unless your a gamer.
Old January 20th, 2022, 05:17 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Thanks for all the info', I heard that they've even made changes to Notepad, something they have hardly touched in 30 years! I use Notepad a lot, just to copy/paste/save stuff. To me it's one of the most useful software in Windows. Going from your advice, I won't be upgrading to W11 any time soon.