Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > General > The Anything Else Board

Notices

The Anything Else Board This board has been designed for all those subjects that don't quite fit in any of the other categories, and is also a place to share ideas and knowledge that you think might prove valuable to our other visitors

Topic Tools
Old January 23rd, 2024, 07:20 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
I haven't been there, is it fast Neddie?
While there are underground trains in both Atlanta and Prague, both also have a different underground, more a cultural thing.

Yes, I have sailed across several oceans. As A child I sailed with my parents from Southhampton UK, thru the Mediterranean, Suez canal, Red sea, Indian Ocean, Southern Ocean, disembarking in Sydney Australia.

Etosha Pan, Namibia.
Old January 25th, 2024, 05:28 PM

Wow I havent been to Nambia!!

Has anyone ever been stopped for a DWI test???
Old January 25th, 2024, 09:25 PM

O/S: Linux
Random drink drive test are the norm in NZ so yes many times.
Never been charged though...
Old January 30th, 2024, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
Wow I havent been to Nambia!!

Has anyone ever been stopped for a DWI test???
This reminds me of a very odd incident my friend and I had back about '90 or
'91 or so - - - really don't remember exactly.

Anyway, we were driving - I was - from my home out in the sticks to his place in Fussa near the base (Japan) and got stopped and I had - - - well, we'd had a few beers at my place. There was no doubt I was in a pickle. But then something weird popped into my head and when that officer stuck that stick-looking thing up to my mouth area I sucked in making a big noise and he seemed quite satisfied I had done something right and I was not nailed.

Frankly, I was stunned it worked. OR he saw it wasn't so bad (the stick meter thing [whatever that is]) and let me scoot on his own initiative. I am not sure, as I sure didn't stick around to ask.

Funny thing was that a few years later I got nailed when I wasn't expecting trouble. It was due to drinking the night before. I had a sort of emergency call to get to the base and I had maybe 5 or 6 hours of sleep and thought I was okay, but no. But they did a blood test thing after I explained the situation and they were satisfied I was telling the truth. I think I still had to spend maybe 2 days in their jail place. Also Japan.

Many, many years ago down in Texas I had to do one of those touch your nose tests and walk a straight line and stuff, but no trouble.

In Arizona, I got pulled over for speeding, but the CB radio helped, as a trucker warned me I was in trouble. That time I was really not in a good state, but I flashed my military ID at the trooper and told him where I was heading --- back to a duty station in the ROK --- and I guess he overlooked my poor condition. I never did go to that town to take care of that ticket. In fact, that might have been the last time I was in the US. But I sure was lucky that time. I was definitely in bad shape and I think he knew that.

But I have never had an accident due to drinking a bit too much and driving. I did fall asleep once in Georgia and totaled the SAAB, but that was due to flying all night and getting a call to go to a funeral. The tower gave me the message just as we were on approach. Early morning. Just went to the BOQ and grabbed my dress blues and headed out. And crashed not too far from that town where Marvin lived. His family. His pa. Or grandpa. I forget which.
Old February 3rd, 2024, 03:24 PM
CTH Subscriber

You were lucky, my late brother-in-law was a police officer early in his working life, he let an offender off, in response to a hard luck story. A short while later he came across the same car with the same driver, totally smashed and dead a few miles down the road.

Now back on topic. Rovaniemi Finland, the home of Santa
Old February 6th, 2024, 10:18 AM

Luck has been a factor in some important matters in my life, even to the extent of allowing me to live longer.

That must have been a very difficult event in your former brother-in-law's life.

*** Now that reference to that Santa fella - - - you aren't by any chance Santa himself disguised here as a regular human?

On the other side of the coin, I must confess to having little knowledge of matters related to Finland, except I don't think even global warming will change the thinking many have (like me) that Finland is a very cold environment.

Oh yes, and they seem to be having new difficulties with relation to Russia.

I guess I have to make a note to check out that Rovaniemi location, especially how to pronounce that.

And that image on this page of those big four-hoofed creatures in Namibia reminds me of Ft. Sill, Oklahoma where we sometimes had to deal with the buffalo that were roaming around the country area (training area) of that facility and that we sometimes had to halt driving because they would stand in the middle of that back road and not move. My wife and I lived out in the sticks and that back road meant for tanks (training) was a good way to get home. But those buffalo could sometimes be very stubborn. And getting out of the car to talk to them seemed a very unwise idea. They are very big. But peaceful. Well, I never saw one get angry.
Old February 6th, 2024, 04:35 PM

I havent ever been to Oklahoma!!

Have you ever been to N. Truro Nova Scotia?
Old February 11th, 2024, 01:17 PM
CTH Subscriber

No, not been to N. Truro Nova Scotia,

but I have been to the original Truro, Cornwall UK.

Old February 21st, 2024, 05:37 AM

O/S: Windows 2003
Have you visited the original Truro in Cornwall, UK, considering the mention of N. Truro Nova Scotia in the conversation?
Old February 21st, 2024, 10:06 AM
CTH Subscriber

Afraid you don't understand this little game, Sard.

The idea is you state whether you have or have not visited the last mentioned place, then you mention a place that you have visited.

Like to have another attempt to play?

Truro, Cornwall UK.
Old February 27th, 2024, 08:55 AM

Nope I havent ever been.....

Have ya ever been to Willy wonkas chocolate factory??
Old February 27th, 2024, 09:38 AM
CTH Subscriber

No, not been there although talking of wonking and willies, I have done something similar.

I have been to Port Louis, Mauritius.
Old February 29th, 2024, 05:51 AM

I havent been there.......

Ever been to Hardees restaurnt between 3 and 4pm?