Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 8

Notices

Windows 8 Problem solving for the Windows 8 Operating System

Topic Tools
Old October 11th, 2014, 05:09 PM

Location: Jacksonville now but bred and born in JERSEY, always a Jersey girl at heart.
Need alternative to Windows Essential Movie Maker...

I am running Dell, Inspiron, Windows 8, IE 10. When using WXP, the movie maker was easy, had a timeline for adjusting photos to lyrics, a lot of special effects with a format compatible with YouTube and most social networks.

The W8's(Windows Essential) has a poor grade software for the same process, no timeline, few effects and after days of creating a video(taking longer due to no timeline), the format was done in something called 'Wimp' which apparently is not compatible anywhere. It cannot be uploaded to Facebook or YouTube.

Is there a good but not complicated software comparable to the movie maker installed in the WXP available?
If so, do I un-install the current movie maker software or will it mess up my photo files etc.?
Thank you...Ora
Old October 11th, 2014, 07:05 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
Hey Jersey Girl
I'm not familiar with Windows 8's Movie Maker, and for all I know this may be the same one you already have, but have a look.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ve/movie-maker
Tampa now, but born, and raised in New York City.
Old October 11th, 2014, 07:21 PM

Location: Jacksonville now but bred and born in JERSEY, always a Jersey girl at heart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPR512 View Post
Hey Jersey Girl
I'm not familiar with Windows 8's Movie Maker, and for all I know this may be the same one you already have, but have a look.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ve/movie-maker
Tampa now, but born, and raised in New York City.
Hi!
Yes this is the one I already have. Hope to find a way to either:
1. Clean download the version movie maker software that came with Windows XP and/or
2. A close alternative that has common formats including mpeg3 etc.
3. In either case, do I un-install the current version(Windows Essential) that is installed?
But thank you for your response
Old October 11th, 2014, 08:22 PM

You might want to take a look at this article, but it looks like you're out of luck in trying to download the same version that was in Windows XP.
http://features.en.softonic.com/why-...ws-movie-maker
I'm using Windows 7, and I've used Movie Maker a number of times. The Version I have is:
2012 (Build 16.4.3508.0205). I think there's a later version, but this one works well for me so I'm sticking with it.
Old October 11th, 2014, 08:37 PM

Quote:
You might want to take a look at this article, but it looks like you're out of luck in trying to download the same version that was in Windows XP.
http://features.en.softonic.com/why-...ws-movie-maker
I'm using Windows 7, and I've used Movie Maker a number of times. The Version I have is:
2012 (Build 16.4.3508.0205). I think there's a later version, but this one works well for me so I'm sticking with it.
Well it looks like I will have to install a different brand altogether, maybe Sony Vegas....
Do any of the new software require the removal of the Windows Movie Maker Essential 2012?
Old October 11th, 2014, 08:52 PM

I just found this one:
http://www.ezvid.com/how_to_download_ezvid
I don't think you should need to uninstall Windows Movie Maker Essential 2012 if you install Sony Vegas or EZVid.
Old October 11th, 2014, 09:02 PM

Quote:
I just found this one:
http://www.ezvid.com/how_to_download_ezvid
I don't think you should need to uninstall Windows Movie Maker Essential 2012 if you install Sony Vegas or EZVid.
EZVid? Will have to check that out....thank you again
Old October 11th, 2014, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ora View Post
EZVid? Will have to check that out....thank you again
You're welcome, l'd be very interested in knowing what you decide on, and how it goes so be sure to post an update.
Old October 11th, 2014, 09:59 PM

Quote:
You're welcome, l'd be very interested in knowing what you decide on, and how it goes so be sure to post an update.
Ok...will try and make the same video that didn't work out with Movie Maker...might take me a day or two though.
Old October 11th, 2014, 10:11 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
see the following

http://www.geeknaut.com/windows-movi...121910206.html
Old October 12th, 2014, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade600 View Post
I will try out a few of these but here is the thing. The version with my computer already installed creates my project in Wimp format which is not accepted at Facebook or YouTube.
All I am doing is uploading family photos using a song I have saved from YouTube. Sounds easy? it worked beautifully with the version on Windows xp....Youtube took it as a finished video(already have 3 up there from that time) and so did Facebook. Not now.
I have no idea how any of these alternative versions will work, uploading 40 photos do follow the verses of a song takes a very long time from start to finish. Frustrating when you cannot do anything with it, there is no link, nothing to finish off the project.
I need some Anacin. Ora.
Old October 12th, 2014, 12:44 PM

As I said before I'm not familiar with the Movie Maker version you are using in Windows 8.
On the version I'm using when I go to left side of the screen, on top, and click Save Project As it will save it as My Movie Project.wlmp. Note that isn't wimp.
If I go to far right, top of the screen, and click Save Movie it will bring up a long list of settings, if I scroll all the way down I see an option called Website settings, Facebook and You Tube are listed.
Take a look, and see if your Movie Maker is similar.

Last edited by IPR512; October 12th, 2014 at 12:45 PM. Reason: typo error corrected
Old October 12th, 2014, 02:59 PM

Yes all of what you describe is what I see. But if I look to the right, click on the list of settings... and choose'YouTube' to 'save movie', then a box comes up showing 'Documents'...in that box are 2 bars. The box reads the name of the video and 'save as type' which already reads MPEG-4/H.264 video file or I can choose the line below which reads 'windows media video file'. I leave it with the 'MPEG etc. When I then click 'save' a box appears saving movie which takes several minutes and then another box appears 'you can play your video file now or open the folder it is in'. Either option plays the video but there is no link.

Here is a YouTube video of how to use the version I have. Sending it so you can see at about 2 minutes what the version I use looks like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLTnsWV2tjE
Old October 12th, 2014, 05:51 PM

The version you are using looks just like the one I'm using. I don't understand what you mean by there is no link.
If I click on the You Tube icon on top of the screen a new window opens, and then tells me to choose the resolution for the movie. The next thing that comes up is to sign into my Microsoft Account. After I sign in to my Microsoft Account another screen comes up to sign into You Tube.
I've only uploaded a very long video to You Tube one time, and didn't go directly through Movie Maker. I had saved the video in Movie Maker, and then went to You Tube to upload it.
Old October 13th, 2014, 03:49 PM

Quote:
The version you are using looks just like the one I'm using. I don't understand what you mean by there is no link.
If I click on the You Tube icon on top of the screen a new window opens, and then tells me to choose the resolution for the movie. The next thing that comes up is to sign into my Microsoft Account. After I sign in to my Microsoft Account another screen comes up to sign into You Tube.
I've only uploaded a very long video to You Tube one time, and didn't go directly through Movie Maker. I had saved the video in Movie Maker, and then went to You Tube to upload it.
Success!!!
I actually got the video on YouTube and Facebook. I did click on the icon at the top and choose the 2nd resolution as the first one that was recommended didn't work. I had been using that same one each time but finally chose the 2nd. I was not asked to sign into my Microsoft Account but it went directly to YouTube where I signed in. I uploaded and everything went smoothly after that. The error was I kept using the recommended resolution over and over instead of trying that 2nd option.

But I am still going to look for a software that offers more options to be creative with my photos being used to enhance the lyrics of a song.
Thank you so very much....really for your patience. If I thought it was permissible I would include the link to the video for you but guessing it wouldn't be okay. Ora