Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 8

Notices

Windows 8 Problem solving for the Windows 8 Operating System

Topic Tools
Old May 24th, 2013, 03:18 PM

Question still undecided about getting this win 8

I am in the midst of buying a new tower . Currently have a 2007 dell with vista...I checked out on microsofts website a bit about win 8 and getting around, not sure if i want to get win 8.. dell has a desktop tower with win 7 still and im pretty sure i may get that one....No touch screen just use a mouse....Just seems like win 8 and those tiles and getting around may be a little too much of a change or a pain in the butt.....with xp vista and im sure win 7, you know where things are and saved and downloaded and how to get around and its pretty easy....im no dummy and not afraid to figure it out, but it seems like its SOOO different and id hate to get it and then not be able to figure out where things are....

anyone here have any feedback on how to really get around on it and what they honestly think from xp, win 7 now to this win 8???

id appreciate anything anyone can offer up to help me decide
Old May 24th, 2013, 03:30 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
the majority of new computers will come witn win8. if you get one with win8 and decided you dont like it, you can always install the classic shell and it takes a lot of 8 out of it and make it more like win7.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/classicshell/
Old May 24th, 2013, 03:47 PM

that link you posted, says (Classic Shell adds some missing features to Windows 7 and Vista like a classic start menu, toolbar for Explorer and others.) i thought this was just for win 8? says win 7 and vista.. how does this classic shell change the whole or some of the OS thats on HD which is win 8?? Like i said, i dont have win 7 and never used it before...I didnt think it was much different then xp or vista.....after reading some of this shell info on the website, it makes it sound like win 7 is somewhat different then xp and vista was.....is it that different then what i have now, vista??

yes i saw that windows 7 is barely on any computers..but the one i like is a dell 660 and has what i want and it has win 7...like i said i still have vista, so i dont even know what win 7 is like, but im sure its not much different then xp and vista, better then vista and more like xp my guess is, but better all around.....and i think with win 8, they think MOST people thses days use or have touch screens, which i dont believe MOST have or do....thats why the tiles, makes you want to touch...im not looking to buy a touch screen...right now i have my desktop with my wallpaper and icons and start, and i know where things are.. bookmarks/FAVorites, i use firefox, when i download things i know how to set it so i know where they get downloaded to....i use AVAST and malwarebytes, and i have windows mail that i use....i have yahoo as my homepage...so with windows 8, how does all i just said come to play ???

Last edited by nancy361; May 24th, 2013 at 04:01 PM.
Old May 24th, 2013, 07:46 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
The Windows 8 METRO screen, is supposedly a quick access to your most used programs. To get to the standard Windows desktop, you click on the Desktop Tile, Pain in the a... There are some cracks to boot Win 8 directly to the desktop, but haven't found one that works yet.

Win 8 has no start button, MS idiots in their infinite wisdom, hid it, also hid the restart and shut off buttons. You have to click several times just to shut down. The fly menu on the right is a big joke. They call it Charms and it is hard to bring up. You have to move your mouse to a corner and hope it comes up. From this menu you can search for things, share content, get back to start, set up devices and change settings.

My wife's lappy has Windows 8 and I put a shortcut on her desktop for Shutdown and one for Restart.

As you can see I am not a fan of Windows 8, I think MS made a big mistake and obviously geared this operating system toward a touch screen- which the majority of consumers do not have.

Yes Windows 8 boots up faster than Windows 7 - so what. It appears, at least thru my experience that it does perform better than Windows 7.

At least Windows 7 appears like Vista and XP, but is a lot better then its predecessors. I run Win 7 on both of my putters and will probably dump Win 8 on wife's and put Win 7.

I have used Windows since 3.0, used every version, and I think Win 7 is the best of them (although Win 98SE was the best-you can't find drivers anymore for it).

I would stick with Windows 7, unless you just want a "Fancy" looking desktop that is hard to navigate. Yes it looks pretty with the scrolling photo's from your photo library, quick access to the programs you use...

Eventually Windows 7 will go out just like XP and drivers will be harder to find, but I don't see that for another couple of years. I am sure all the MS Geeks are building the next Windows operating system and figuring out how to piss the public off, make them go out and buy Touch screens and how can I get them frustrated more that they are with Windows 8.

OK soap opera out, since I lost my MVP status, I can no longer consciously defend Microsoft. sorry but just the facts.
Old May 24th, 2013, 08:13 PM

hahaha love it Murf...you really do give straight FWD answers.. I appreciate that.... I wasnt to keen on the different tutorials i saw, and im just going to stick with dell win 7 computer you know i was planning on getting.... i have looked for ACER in laptops and desktops, and NONE has win 7......guess i cant get rid of win 8 and install win 7 on it huh??... I need to get a move on , on buying the dell i fear if i dont get it soon, itll be gone....trying to find a system with i3-i5 3rd gen. with win 7 is practically non existent. and yea, at times i think society and technology sort of forces people to keep up, or think they have to keep up and its very costly to do that.....touchscreens arent cheap... and for MS to think everyone has one or will have to get one, like that goofy SURFACE...is dumb.......thanks again...BTW... you lost your MVP status??
Old May 24th, 2013, 09:29 PM

i found this laptop from dell it has a BIG 17.3 inch screen...what do you think

New Inspiron 17 Notebook (Inspiron 3721)
3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i3-3227U processor (3M Cache, 1.9 GHz)
Black Matte with textured finish
Intel® HD Graphics
4GB Single Channel DDR3 1600MHz
No Adobe Elements Software Requested
500GB 5400 RPM Hard Drive
8X CD / DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)
Dell Wireless 1704 802.11b/g/n, Bluetooth v4.0+LE
Dell Chiclet Keyboard with Multi-touch Touchpad, US English
Waves MaxxAudio 4
PCmover Home – Free
Documentation, English
Dell Wireless Driver 1704
US Power Cord, 1M
4 Cell Primary Battery,40 WHr
Retail Print On Demand
Windows 7 Additional Software
Shipping Material, Direct
No Optical Drive Software
17.3 HD+ (900p) WLED with Truelife (1600x900)
INS17V_1401_025/BTS/C1/W7
Dell.com Order
Shipping Material
CFI Not Included
Palmrest Label, English

Im wondering about the speed 1.9GHz for an i3 3rd gen is that normal for a laptop?? desktop was 3. something or other in speed and is it normal for a laptop to have 5400 rpm HD ? desktops are usually 7200.....I saw it has a 4 cell battery, i guess it wont last very long unplugged huh? Im not looking for a laptop for mobility, only for space....instead of all this stuff on my desk, i can have 1 laptop and thats it as far as bulk and equip... The desktop 660 is a mini tower, much smaller then one i have now, but i still have ALL the wires and cords and the big screen monitor......laptop will get rid of all the plugs and cords except power cord to charge battery....its on sale for 459

I must sound like the most confused person....hahahaha...hey its got win 7 prem, thats a plus... just trying to make the best choice i can for our needs.....let me know

lady said that this laptop can go up to 8 GB of ram, but it comes preinstalled with only 4 gb....ill have to buy another 4gb ...and the 4 cell battery would give 4hrs unplugged.....

i also noticed in the list it said NO ADOBE elements software requested.. or no optical drive software...wouldnt i need all that installed to be able to use or do certain things??? what about service packs and such?? nothing worse then getting a new computer, then i have to put all the cds in it to install all this stuff.......

Last edited by nancy361; May 24th, 2013 at 11:05 PM. Reason: more info
Old May 24th, 2013, 09:49 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
Hi Murf
Are you finding that most computers that come with Windows 8 are able to be wiped and Windows 7 installed on them? Are drivers available?
Reason why I'm interested in this is, because my other half is using a hand me down old Dell with XP on it, but I fear that it's days are numbered, and I don't want to buy a computer with Windows 8 on it that I know nothing about. Like Nancy I'm contemplating whether or not to get a left over Windows 7 desktop to take the old Dell's place.
Like you, I'm not crazy about Dell though.
Old May 24th, 2013, 10:59 PM

I found this article/info on PCMAG IPR512...i dont think im up to all that....i havent had any issues with any dell comp before.. im just having to decide if the desktop 660 or the laptop inspiron 17 is what i want they both offer win 7 prem....i have searched high and low from office category of computers cause some have win 7, to amazon and ebay and all in between....the ones that do have win 7 dont have the 3rd gen intel that im looking for, or enough memory or HD space or tooo expensive for me...... ck out the link and read it thru, see if its something you can do

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2417359,00.asp
Old May 24th, 2013, 11:46 PM

Thanks for the link Nancy. Drivers are the key to switching, and that's where the problems may come in.
I got soured on Dell a number of years ago when my elderly neighbor wanted a new computer. We sat down, and ordered a new dell Vostro Desktop for him. A week later it was delivered so I went over to help him unpack it, and to set it up. He doesn't have a clue how to use a computer for much more than checking his stocks, and sending e-mails.
I connected the monitor, keyboard and mouse, and turned it on. Much to my amazement it was reporting that there was no hard drive found. I told my neighbor to call Dell while I restarted it, and got in the BIOS. No signs of a hard drive, and by this time the Indian from New Delhi was on the phone with my poor old neighbor. She tells me to restart and tells me how to get into the BIOS which I promptly told her that I already did that, and no hard drive was noted. Next thing she tells me to take the side off the case so she holds on while we did that. I lost it when I looked inside, and there was the hard drive just laying there, it had never been screwed into the rack or cables attached. No doubt that hard drive had taken a beating in transit not to mention how it had bounced around on the motherboard. I know she heard me cursing, and by the time I got back on the phone to talk to her I was royally pissed off. We sent that computer back, and a new one was sent to my neighbor. That one had sound problems that couldn't be resolved so it too went back. That's why I'm leery about Dells.
Old May 25th, 2013, 01:12 AM

oh wow, that sucks. im sorry you guys had to go thru all that, thats crazy. I too wouldve been pissed and told them to ship me another and make it free this time since so much happened to be wrong with it.....

I had 2 dells one in the early 2000s then the vista in 07.. have to say havent had any issues...but if i did id do what you did and more, those people would be bulding me a top of the line and giving it to me for free...hahaha.....That article made it clear about the drivers... im sure it works if people know what to do and do each step....just too much aggravation for me....keep cking you may find a computer thats NOT a dell with win 7... ck bestbuy or staples but instead of home use, go to work or office section, lot more comp. if i come across any ill let you know, im still searching over and over to find something with win 7 thats worth buying, thats NOT dell...
Old May 25th, 2013, 02:40 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
I have owned a couple of Dell laptops, and will say they run good and I didn't have any problems with them. For the average consumer their support sucks, I don't care what anyone says, you get some yahoo on the phone that generally is not is the US and all they have are different scripts they read from depending on what the problem is.

Anyways, most laptops run 5400rpm drives, simply because the faster drives do tend to heat up a bit, and laptops run hot anyways. However the newer ones do have a 7200rpm hard drive.

Example;

Acer V3-731-4634 Laptop $449.99

Windows 7
2.2Ghz (dual core)
4Gb memory (max 8GB)
500GB hard drive
17.3" screen
DVD Writer

Acer AXC600-UR13 (desktop-slim) $399.99

Windows 8
2.90Ghz (dual Core)
4Gb memory (max 8GB)
500Gb Hard drive
DVD Burner

Just so many to chose from. All computers from the manufacture with have the operating system pre-installed, and will have it copied to a small hidden partition (called a recovery partition). Some will send recovery DVD's some do not.

Can you wipe Windows 8 off and install Windows 7 YES, you would still have Windows 8 on the recovery. Plus you would have to purchase Windows 7, unless you already have a retail copy.

Just about all computers that have Windows 8 will also have drivers for Windows 7, in fact some of the Windows 8 drivers would work with Windows 7.

A desktop or Laptop, I guess the choice would be how you use your computer. If you want to run Wireless and move the Laptop around the house, or take it with you and connect to free wireless, then that makes since.

If you do not plan on doing that and would only use the computer in once place then a desktop would be the way to go.

Desktops are easier to fix then a Laptop and generally cheaper to fix.

Laptop generally have smaller processor then desktops, not always.

I'm wondering about the speed 1.9GHz for an i3 3rd gen is that normal for a laptop..That is a tad slow compared to what is available.

NO ADOBE elements software requested.. or no optical drive software...

You don't need Adobe Elements,
http://www.adobe.com/products/photos...130525013348:s

DVD burning software, you can find for free if you look hard. Besides Windows has burning software built in.

Couple of places to check:

Newegg.com
Tiger Direct.com
Frys.Com
Amazon.com

Newegg example

HP P-7-1423W $429.00
Windows 8
I5 2320 (3.00GHz) QUAD core
8GB Memory
1TB 7200rpm Hard Drive

Tiger Direct

Windows 7 Desktops

So many, many to chose from. Glad I don't have that decision...I Build My Own.....

Note: MVP Status

I received MVP status in 2004, due to my Web Page "Murf's Garage" and was moderating at several forums, besides this one. They track your hits, progress, web page content and forum knowledge etc... I basically shut down Murf's Garage, too time consuming and am renovating it as we speak. I also quit the other forums to concentrate here at CTH. So MS basically said I wasn't doing enough so I did not get picked up for 2013.. No big deal..
Old May 25th, 2013, 11:19 AM

Nancy
I'm just an average woman who has been lucky enough to have had a good friend who was really a geek. He built the computer for me in 2007 that you see in my signature. He knew he was terminally ill so we decided that even though my computer was just a few years old it would be best to have a new one down the road. While he was putting it together at my house he kept telling me that I should build my own. I already was able to replace a hard drive, video card etc. so he felt that if I put my mind to it I could build one myself. It's too bad that I never attempted it while he was still around to bail me out if I ran into problems, and I kick myself now for not attempting it. MY husband keeps encouraging me, but the thought of screwing up a motherboard that cost $$$ makes my legs buckle.
I've been hanging around different computer forums since 1997, before I met my geek friend, and I have run into other people like Murf who have been a great help when I needed it. A while back with Murf's help I upgraded that same computer to Windows 7 64 bit.
I just wish that Murf lived up the street from me now as I would be bending his ear, and asking him to look over my shoulder while I tried to finally build my own.
Old May 25th, 2013, 11:24 AM

Hi Murf
Those desktops you linked to at Tiger Direct say Windows 7/ Windows 8. Does that mean both are installed?
Old May 25th, 2013, 02:34 PM

Thats pretty cool IPR... I too love fiddling around inside the system.. not afraid to open it up and take things out or apart....never tried or thought to build my own though....but i have taken out components and replaced with better or had 2 etc etc..

good luck on your findings or builds
Old May 25th, 2013, 03:43 PM

I enjoy having more than one hard drive installed also, and that's one of the reasons I want to stick with a desktop rather than a laptop. At least desktop's are more easily fixed.
I really would love to build my own, but wouldn't know where to start as far as choosing parts for it. I have a brand new video card, extra hard drives and DVD burners sitting here so I wouldn't need too much, but messing with the motherboard and processor scare me.
Hey how about if we get Murf to choose some parts for us and you, and I each build one? I bet that would sure get Murf tearing his hair out.