Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old August 26th, 2009, 10:42 PM

sorry, yes i did download rising AFTER i got rid of mcafee and used the mcafee tool and restarted. once mcafee was all gone THEN i downloaded rising..
Old August 26th, 2009, 10:44 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Ok, that's fine. Make sure you disable it before running those fixes. Rising monitors changes to your registry and will alert you if you dont.
Old August 27th, 2009, 03:31 PM

Hi Ann.. NOTHING worked.... did the recycle_bin thing and rebooted. nothing did the change the icon oic full or empty and nothing. did the command prompt and that emotys it and shows its empty on my desktop. but its a 1 time thing... i sent trash to the bin on my desktop... i right clicked on the bin and it shows nothing listed, BUT the pic of the trashcan INSIDE at the bottom shows full not the icon on my desktop, still empty.. i click on empty the bin and box asks if i want to delete the file, yes ... the whole thing is messed up.. cant i completely get rid of the bin and vista will then make a new one. start fresh completely???
Old August 27th, 2009, 03:33 PM

sorry about typos

nothing happened after i did the recycle_bin...... OIC, supposed to be PIC. changed the icon Pic full and empty. nothing

did the command prompt and that EMPTYS it
Old August 27th, 2009, 06:28 PM

also Ann, you have a link for that secunia.com.... i clicked on that and went thru it and it came back showing me all these apps are insecure and need updating etc... it told me i didnt have the MS security update and i needed to do that, but i checked all the updates done on my computer and i DO have it. it went thru several apps, like adobe and apple quicktime java saying i need to update this and that.... why would it say i dont have updates installed if i do...??
Old August 27th, 2009, 10:26 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
cant i completely get rid of the bin and vista will then make a new one. start fresh completely???
You have already done that twice. That's what the below command does.

rd /s /q C:\$Recycle.bin

Quote:
it told me i didnt have the MS security update and i needed to do that, but i checked all the updates done on my computer and i DO have it. it went thru several apps, like adobe and apple quicktime java saying i need to update this and that.... why would it say i dont have updates installed if i do...??
I have no idea but this computer is obviously still sick. Did you go to Windows Updates and see if the update Secunia advised you needed appeared?

Do you have a Vista Installation DVD?
Old August 27th, 2009, 10:39 PM

yes thats what i did. i have updates to happen automatically... i went to updates and clicked to see the list of updates that i already have and have been installed... the update they said i didnt have, i DO have it shows up in the list.. so why would this secunia say different?

and the first thing on the list of vulnerabilites told me that this installation of MS windows vista is insecure. telling me i dont have all the patches etc etc.. but i do.. whats that all about?

yes i have my vista cd
Old August 27th, 2009, 10:50 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
and the first thing on the list of vulnerabilites told me that this installation of MS windows vista is insecure. telling me i dont have all the patches etc etc.. but i do.. whats that all about?
As I said, I dont know but I do know that an infection can severely compromise a computer security and while we can get rid of the malware files, we have no way of knowing what other changes may have been made.

Quote:
i have updates to happen automatically... i went to updates and clicked to see the list of updates that i already have and have been installed... the update they said i didnt have, i DO have it shows up in the list.. so why would this secunia say different?
No I dont want you to check the list already installed. Open IE and go to Windows Update here > http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and have your operating system scanned for updates. Do the updates that Secunia said you require appear on the list to be installed?
Old August 27th, 2009, 11:21 PM

the only thing that shows up on the list is the KB954430. it is installing now. nothing else on the list from secunia showed up. they were all itunes and adobe flash and acrobat reader and java... my computer always alerts me of new updates for all that stuff and i get them installed, so i dont know why this site says everything is not secure
Old August 27th, 2009, 11:28 PM
CTH Subscriber

The other updates (iTunes, Java etc) are third party updates and will not show on the Windows Updates site. Was KB954430 one of the updates that Secunia said was not installed?

Did you run System Restore at any stage? If so, any software or updates installed after the date you chose need to be reinstalled.
Old August 28th, 2009, 01:07 AM

yes that KB954430 which is a security update for msxml core service 4.0 service pack 2... i have that same number and update listed lots of times in the list of updates already installed. i clicked on it again to install it again and then i got a box that popped up to install vista service pack 2 KB948465. when i clicked on it to go ahead and install a box came up saying that MSDSM driver may be incompatible and there are no solutions.... i click the button that says ignore and install, and then after a few minutes computer crashed, blue screen.. so i shut it down and back on and its the same thing with the update... I guess i dont have service pack 2 on my computer?? maybe thats why the security updates wont install right because i dont have serv pack 2.. this is getting more complicated isnt it....

yes i did a restore after all was said and done in malware forum and they said it looked clean...
Old August 28th, 2009, 01:33 AM

apparently this KB954430 is a prerequisite for serv pack 2.. i also shouldve disabled all malware and AV software from what i read before installing serv pack 2. i dont know what that driver is that i said above post either
Old August 28th, 2009, 02:00 AM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
yes i did a restore after all was said and done in malware forum and they said it looked clean
Why on earth did you do that? You may have put the malware back.

Quote:
I guess i dont have service pack 2 on my computer?? maybe thats why the security updates wont install right because i dont have serv pack 2
Entirely possible.

Quote:
i also shouldve disabled all malware and AV software from what i read before installing serv pack 2.
That's standard practice before installing any updates Nancy. What is your current situation?
Old August 28th, 2009, 02:28 PM

[QUOTE=AnnMarie;1120754]Why on earth did you do that? You may have put the malware back.

arent you supposed to create a restore point? thats what i did... and it was the exact day that i was told system was clean... i didnt restore it back to a date when the virus was there...but a current day after i got the OK... i followed those steps from malware forum as well as your links... i think i should attempt to download serv pack 2.....
Old August 28th, 2009, 11:27 PM
CTH Subscriber

Perhaps I should have worded my question differently. Performing a restore and creating a restore point are two different actions and creating a restore point is fine. I was under the impression that you performed a system restore.

Do not install Service Pack 2 yet. You need to uninstall one or more updates first. See Solution 1 here. Do not try Solution 2. There is no need to run System Restore once the updates are uninstalled.