Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old March 17th, 2008, 07:05 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Remote Desktop Situation

Hi,

I connect to a second PC using XP Pro Remote desktop. I have a dual monitor on the PC I connect from and would like to be able to watch the remote PC on the secondary monitor. The problem is that when I move the remote screen to the second monitor it goes out of full screen mode (that has the minimize bar for the remote session at the top of the window). I need to be able to see the entire screen. How do I return it to full screen mode once I have moved it accross to the second monitor.
Old March 17th, 2008, 11:55 AM

how do you have the dual monitor setup on your video card?
Do you have it as a streched display or set up as 2 different views?
Also what kind of video card do you have?
Old March 17th, 2008, 02:17 PM

I just use desktop properties and add the extra moitor that way. I have it set up as two separate views ie if you maximize a window on either screen it fills up the screen that it is currently located on, not both. The video card is a NIVIDIA 8600GT. The first picture is how I want it to be on the second monitor, and what it currently looks like when I first open Remote Desktop on the main monitor-

But it changes to this when I move it accross to monitor 2, you can see how I am only getting around 75% of the screen and there is both vertical and horizontal slide bars to see the remainder-

Old March 17th, 2008, 03:54 PM

on the software we use here where I work the top toolbar has an option for full screen mode. Are you using MS software or a third party software for your remote access?
Old March 17th, 2008, 04:06 PM

My top toolbar also has that option, but if I use it the format changes to the type of window you see above in the second shot, even on the main monitor, only it fits without the slide bars. The second monitor is 17" and the main one is 22, so I guess that explains why the second monitor needs the slide bars, it doesn't resize it down to scale to compensate for the smaller monitor. I looks as though once the remote window has been larger it won't scale itself down to fit a smaller screen...
Old March 18th, 2008, 02:27 AM

The other way it might work is if I could somehow force remote sessions to start on monitor two. When I try this it jumps across to monitor one when I press connect....
Old March 18th, 2008, 10:05 AM

If you want an accelerated/full screen application stretched across more than one monitor, you can't use the Extend Desktop mode that Windows offers. You must use the Span (sometimes called Stretch) mode provided by the graphics drivers. This will setup your desktop with one large resolution in which you will be able to have Remote Desktop (and other apps, like games) spread across all connected monitors. This will work most of the time.

Last edited by oracle128; March 18th, 2008 at 10:39 AM.