Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Web Development & Graphic Design

Notices

Web Development & Graphic Design Problem Solving for Graphic Design, PHP, ASP, Perl, MySQL, SQL, XML, HTML issues

Topic Tools
Old March 16th, 2008, 08:24 PM

PHP website

hey everyone. I am going to venture to make a website using php. For now there are only 2 things that I want. I would like to know of a good place to get a website and would like to add the gmail lite application to it. I am in the military and government computers can not access gmail. I would like to do that so that I can email my wife while I am gone. Is there anyone that would help me accomplish this? I am new to all of this, so some step by step instructions might be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

R
Old March 17th, 2008, 02:09 AM

Ok, I have started a website using www.afmu.com It was cheap and I think it should work for what I want it to do. Can anyone help me figure out how to create a page and put gmail lite on my website?

TIA

R
Old March 17th, 2008, 03:05 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: MacOS
Rollin,

I don't mean to come of smarmy or unhelpful, but you need to realize your question is similar to "Can anyone tell me how to build a car from the ground up?"

There are a million different directions to go and a million different things to learn. How do you manufacture rubber for tires? How are the wheels cast? How does an internal cumbistion engine work? What parts are needed to make an engine? What are the benefits of a fiberglass body compared to a steel body? How is a frame created? How do you weld parts together? How is material made? How do you upholster seats?

There's absolutely no way anyone can simply "tell you how to make a site."

You need to ask specific questions to get valuable answers. Your generalities are so broad in this area every single person could answer your question differently.

Do you know PHP?
Do you know HTML?
Do you understand web technologies?

What SPECIFICALLY are you having trouble with?
Old March 17th, 2008, 02:58 PM

Hey, thanks for the reply. I do not know PHP or HTML but I am a fast learner and could probably figure it out. I am first curious as to what to use with my webpage. I can use Joomla, PHP-nuke, Post-nuke just to name a few. If anyone has any other suggestions on a content manager, I am listening. I first wondering which to use to help build my site.

Thanks,

R
Old March 19th, 2008, 10:16 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
CMS software IS your website, it won't help you build one. If you use any of those systems you won't need to do any coding. But, it will also be next to impossible to add any features that those packages don't do (like Gmail Lite).
Old April 1st, 2008, 08:35 PM

It appears that you want to begin making your own web page. The folks that commented above, are all correct. You can go onto the internet and type in topics, concerrning what you want to do or accomplish, and something positive will pop-up (no doubt!) But to get you started in the right (or a right) direction, check out this site. I'm certain it will help you. As a matter of fact, just type into you search bar; website tutorials, and see where it takes you.. but until then, go to and check out>
http://www.partdigital.com/tutorials/
Old April 1st, 2008, 08:39 PM

http://www.pagetutor.com/html_tutor/lesson10.html
This is also something you might want to check into. This one will have you constructing a web page today and could lead you into another dimention of web design. You're in for something you don't expect at this point. But all will be exciting and adventurous; you'll love it.