Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old March 11th, 2008, 05:56 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Set Affinity/ Quad Core 6600

Hello,

I have a Quad Core 6600. A programme for displaying statistics as a Heads up Display that I have struggles to perform with 4 cores running. The developers have recommended running it on one core using Task Manager/ Set Affinity. However this has to be done every time and often I forget, I then launch everything and get a freeze up if I open 10+ of the applications that it displays on. The HUD is launched from within the main programme but has a .exe shortcut in that programmes folder. Can I set this programme to always start up on one core only?

And while I'm at it the Language toolbar won't go away, I right click the toolbar and untick it but it always appears on next start up, in fact sometimes it restarts itself in the same session . Any way to terminate this thing, not planning to become multi lingual at this point.
Old March 11th, 2008, 09:49 AM

You can set affinity with a shortcut using this tool.

There are two options that can cause the Language Bar to show. Both are in Control Panel->Regional and Language Options->Languages->Details.
From here:
-Click Language Bar, then untick all options.
-Go to Advanced, untick the first option, tick the second option.
Old March 11th, 2008, 10:10 AM

Old March 13th, 2008, 03:02 AM

I have a follow up question. I am using a Quad Core 2.4, 2g ram, 250 HD. The programme I use displays statistics onto the screen on multiple windows of similar kind. The information is constantly being updated. The software is about 6 months in the making so the developers are still getting their feet wet with this particular software but are experienced developers. But the Heads up Display part of the app does not like the 6600 Q. Many users with this are complaining of huge LAG. Up until very recently the statistics where displayed on 10 panels per window (around 8 statistics on each). They have recently changed this so that each statistic has it's own smaller panel now making the same window have 80 smaller stat panels. This has bought the Quad Core's to their knees and forced those users to stick with the original 10 panels (not as good). Originally, Q users were having trouble with only using the ten panels, this was overcome by restricting the HUD app to operating on one core. Can anyone suggest why a QC would struggle vs a single core when it comes to this type of task and any possible enhancements.
Old March 13th, 2008, 10:21 AM

Possibly, they had not multi-threaded the app, meaning it could only use one of the cores. So, it wouldn't matter how many cores you have, performance will only be as good as one of those cores. But that wouldn't explain why it would work properly if you manually set affinity; and even one core of a quad core CPU isn't much slower than a decent single core. More likely, they simply have some bug which cripples performance specifically on quad core CPUs, it happens, there's not much you can do about it. However if you want to try a good alternative program you can try Samurize.
Old March 16th, 2008, 03:32 AM

Thanks again Oracle. So if you assign a programme to a single core with affinity is there any preference on which core to set it to? The programme in question is very active and takes between 3-12% of CPU while it runs. I don't really know much about the workings of dual cores, are the later cores in the list less active or anything ie#3 and therefore better to set a task like this to or do I just choose core 0. Scary when a computer noob reads a few things
Old March 16th, 2008, 04:19 AM

It doesn't really matter which core you assign it to, as the OS will generally assign other processes to the least-busy cores. The only reason you'd want to be choosy over which core you use, is if you have a program/s that specifically target certain cores to run on (which they shouldn't, and I don't know of any apps that do, because it would break compatibility with lesser-cored systems); or, if you've set the affinity of other programs, you would want to even out the work load while you're manually assigning them (basically what the OS usually does itself).