Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > General > Open Discussion

Notices

Open Discussion A place to chat with other members about non-technical related topics

Topic Tools
Old March 17th, 2008, 10:40 PM

HMAS Sydney - wreckage found!

Here's an interesting bit of Australian history!

Sixty-six years down the track and we have finally found out what happened to our HMAS Sydney warship...bringing much needed closure to those families and friends whose loved ones went down on that ship.

The HMAS Sydney was attacked by a German ship posing as a Dutch mercantile ship in Australian waters. No one knew what happened to it or where it was until now.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/080316/2/1666a.html

Last edited by legalsuit; March 17th, 2008 at 10:44 PM.
Old March 18th, 2008, 02:53 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
I saw this on the news last night and was wondering, I didn't even know we'd forgotten where we parked it.
Old March 18th, 2008, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle128 (extract from post) View Post
...I didn't even know we'd forgotten where we parked it.

The HMAS Sydney was sunk during the war. No one knew what happened to it. Crew that died are still on board (I think over 600 crew). Hence, now it's been discovered, the govt will be classing it as a war grave site.
Old March 18th, 2008, 10:59 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
The finding of HMAS Sydney is an historic moment for all Australians, when it sank 66 years ago with the loss of 645 lives, Australia had a population of around 7 Million people.

Just think 645 lives lost out of 7 million, now compare that to the September 11 horror of 2001.

In 2001 we were all shocked and horified that so many people could die as a result of one event. Around 3000 people died that day but out of a US population of around 280 million. Not that I wish to diminish the horror of Sep 11 but consider how those people must have felt 66 years ago when 645 out of 7 million died in one event.

I hope the remaining famlies of those who perished on the HMAS Sydney gain some closure all these years later.

RIP HMAS Sydney sailors.
Old March 18th, 2008, 04:15 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
A find like this is always a source of comfort to the families of those souls lost, as well as to the RAN in total. Any loss is keenly felt by a Navy, so a discovery like this is always much appreciated.

According war grave status to a site must also be a great source of comfort when remembering fallen comrades and family.

*EDIT* You're quite right Ned, this must have been a huge loss, especially as it's fate was unrecorded at the time.
Old March 18th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Rampant Rabbit

oracle128dammit
Old March 18th, 2008, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammit View Post
oracle128dammit
Sorry for not being alive 80 years ago. Clearly my fault.
Old March 18th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Rampant Rabbit

Neither was I matey, but I know what the relatives of the people that died on that ship trying to make a better world for the likes of you must feel about the discovery. Sadly you don't.
Old March 19th, 2008, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammit View Post
Neither was I matey, but I know what the relatives of the people that died on that ship trying to make a better world for the likes of you must feel about the discovery. Sadly you don't.
Says who? Did YOU know this ship was missing before it was in the news recently? I bet not. Therefore by your logic, you must be an insensitive pr!ck too?

I didn't realize there was some moral obligation to know the details of every single ship lost at sea. What that even has to do with understanding the loss of the families I don't know, perhaps you could elaborate dammit.

Last edited by oracle128; March 19th, 2008 at 06:48 AM. Reason: spelling
Old March 19th, 2008, 04:02 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Linux
Oracle, did the news story you watched include the interview with the woman who lost her husband (I think they had only been married a matter of weeks) on the Sydney? There are still hundreds of Australians alive today who had immediate relatives on the Sydney and many many more who are directly affected by this discovery.

Making light of it was inappropriate.
Old March 19th, 2008, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfy View Post
Oracle, did the news story you watched include the interview with the woman who lost her husband (I think they had only been married a matter of weeks) on the Sydney? There are still hundreds of Australians alive today who had immediate relatives on the Sydney and many many more who are directly affected by this discovery.

Making light of it was inappropriate.
The ship sank 80 years ago, and "making light"* of it now is too soon? Ever watched M*A*S*H?

*If by "making light" you meant "stating you didn't know it happened"
Old March 19th, 2008, 06:54 AM

Are you really that socially incompetent or is this a deliberate act?
Old March 19th, 2008, 09:56 AM

You're absolutely right, I'm socially incompetent. I completely apologise for any offence I caused. I, Oracle128, fully recant the statement I made announcing my lack of knowledge regarding the existence, and subsequent disappearance of, the World War 2 ship HMAS Sydney; leaving it completely ambiguous as to whether I do or do not have any knowledge of the aforementioned ship, and whether or not any third parties have any knowledge, either factual or alleged, of my knowledge, or lack of knowledge, regarding the above incident.

Unfortunately, as this electronic forum does not allow users to modify their posted content after a period of approximately 24 hours, it's is technologically impossible for me to remove the aforementioned recanted and no longer existent statement, so as to prevent further offence and potential damage.

In light of this grave injustice, I feel that in order to make reparations for any psychological damage I may have caused, the least I could do is make arrangements to educate the wider community on such abominations to societal mankind. As such, to fulfil these social obligations, I have created an electronic channel by which means other, empathic members of our community may partake in the interchange of communicae, for the sole purpose of supporting the prevention of further pain and anguish.

Clicking this link will assist the community in preventing further thought crimes!

Last edited by oracle128; March 19th, 2008 at 10:00 AM.
Old March 19th, 2008, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle128 View Post
I saw this on the news last night and was wondering, I didn't even know we'd forgotten where we parked it.
is completely different from
Quote:
my lack of knowledge regarding the existence, and subsequent disappearance of, the World War 2 ship HMAS Sydney
The fact that you had seen the news bulletin appraising you of the significance of the event and still made light of it makes it deliberate.
Comparing the comedic treatment of war by M*A*S*H and Hogans Heroes (you forgot 'Allo 'Allo, Dad's Army, Gomer Pyle, etc) to your lame attempt at making light at the discovery of the last resting place of 645 Australians is despicable.

Using your youth as an excuse is a cop-out. I wasn't alive then either. Nor do I have any direct relatives that saw active combat duty in WWII.

I STRONGLY suggest you stick to posting in technical topics for a while.
Old March 19th, 2008, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfy View Post
Comparing the comedic treatment of war by M*A*S*H and Hogans Heroes (you forgot 'Allo 'Allo, Dad's Army, Gomer Pyle, etc) to your lame attempt at making light at the discovery of the last resting place of 645 Australians is despicable.
Which of course begs the question:
How so?
Were we still hoping they were alive or something? Like maybe they just dropped anchor in Hawaii and simply forgot to come home?

Last edited by oracle128; March 19th, 2008 at 10:36 AM.