Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > General > Open Discussion

Notices

Open Discussion A place to chat with other members about non-technical related topics

Topic Tools
Old February 29th, 2008, 07:08 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Banned - who wants to know!

Would it be fairer to banned members to not have it advertised as such under their name.
I mean, even if you commit a crime these days they don't tattoo it on your forehead.
It reminds me of the Star of David the Nazis made Jews attach to their clothing in WW2.

Just wondering what purpose it serves.

Personally speaking, I don't really want to know who is or isn't banned.
Old February 29th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
If the label wasn't there then other members might be wondering where they went. Maybe you could bring this up at the vBulletin Forums. I'm sure they would love to hear your comparison of their choice of usergroup names to how the Nazis treated the Jews.
Old February 29th, 2008, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockboy View Post
If the label wasn't there then other members might be wondering where they went. Maybe you could bring this up at the vBulletin Forums. I'm sure they would love to hear your comparison of their choice of usergroup names to how the Nazis treated the Jews.
Well, even with the label there, other members will wonder where [and why] they went I think.

So by your reply, am I to understand that when someone is banned it is an automatic non-configurable vbulletin function to add them to that usergroup?

Good idea about the vbulletin forums - I might just do that.
Old February 29th, 2008, 08:43 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
from what I have seen about banned members, they know what they did were against the rules, they know that they can be banned for their actions, they know they will be identified as being banned, and they are usually given warnings and second chances before being banned. So wheres the embarrassment when they continued breaking the rules. Basically they asked for it.
Old February 29th, 2008, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade600 View Post
from what I have seen about banned members, they know what they did were against the rules, they know that they can be banned for their actions, they know they will be identified as being banned, and they are usually given warnings and second chances before being banned. So wheres the embarrassment when they continued breaking the rules. Basically they asked for it.
I'm not disputing the rights and wrongs of the individual bannings; that's none of my business.
The sign just seems a bit unsavoury to me - my personal opinion.
What is the real benefit of it for non-banned members
Old February 29th, 2008, 10:04 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
I cant see how it makes any difference at all to existing members uripyores unless they want to contact the person concerned. In that case, it's a flag to let the member know that a PM or email will not be delivered.
Old February 29th, 2008, 10:36 PM

O/S: MacOS
Im wondering what other word you could use. I mean if they're Banned, they're not a member anymore, so it would be inaccurate to describe them thus, although in some cases, this is only temporary.

If people are perma- banned, then I suppose they could be removed somehow. Temporarily banned peeps could be Suspended Due to Inappropriate Behaviour. Or Away. Or maybe invent an acronym. Like DAMP (Detained at MishY's Pleasure) Oh, I think I just made a joke

Whatever word is used, it would amount to the same thing and we would all know what it meant.
Old February 29th, 2008, 11:04 PM
Rampant Rabbit

Speaking as probably the most banned member on here..... I'm keeping my mouth shut.
Old February 29th, 2008, 11:21 PM

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurestLight View Post
Im wondering what other word you could use. I mean if they're Banned, they're not a member anymore, so it would be inaccurate to describe them thus, although in some cases, this is only temporary.

If people are perma- banned, then I suppose they could be removed somehow. Temporarily banned peeps could be Suspended Due to Inappropriate Behaviour. Or Away. Or maybe invent an acronym. Like DAMP (Detained at MishY's Pleasure) Oh, I think I just made a joke

Whatever word is used, it would amount to the same thing and we would all know what it meant.
I guess I don't see how using another word we all know means banned would be any less embarrassing to someone. Soon even a casual visitor would figure out our code word and realized that an account had been banned.

I personally would be more annoyed by having something like "Suspended Due to Inappropriate Behavior" put under my name. To me that would seem to imply that I was trying grope Snurfen in the networking forum or something and was suspended. I know this was put out there as just one possibilities among many, but I guess my point is that no matter what phrase was used there is always someone that can find an issue with it.
Old February 29th, 2008, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by z1p View Post

I personally would be more annoyed by having something like "Suspended Due to Inappropriate Behavior" put under my name. To me that would seem to imply that I was trying grope Snurfen in the networking forum or something and was suspended.

I did have my tongue firmly in my cheek z1p
Old February 29th, 2008, 11:32 PM
Rampant Rabbit

Quote:
Old February 29th, 2008, 11:35 PM

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurestLight View Post

Now the places I could go with this if I didn't have 'mod' under my name.
Old February 29th, 2008, 11:50 PM

O/S: Linux
Is having the title "Banned" under your name embarrassing? Good. That should act as a deterrant. Obey the rules and you shouldn't ever have to worry about it.

I would suggest for some though, it's been more of a badge of (dis)honour to be paraded around the web in their misguided quest for some sort of martyrdom.

Apart from the impact on the actually banned (former) member, it also serves an important purpose for the casual reader of our threads to help decide the merits or otherwise of a post.
Reading a long thread with varied opinions on how to solve a problem, whose advice would you be more likely to follow, the user/helper with "Rampant Rabbit" under their name or the one with "Banned" under theirs? (Sorry dammit, just picked one randomly ).
That's not ALWAYS a good thing, as some banned members were actually sound technically, but couldn't behave themselves, so their helpful posts are still valuable.

Which is the main reason we don't delete banned members or their posts. I've seen many instances of post deletion (ususally instigated by the member themselves) absolutely destroy thread continuity. That's why we had to put a time limit on edits.

We do often move the more unsavoury (or spammers) posts out of public view but this can be a two-edged sword. Looking into a reason someone was banned can be difficult for other members because there may not be any evidence left in public view, thus making it difficult to see why they were banned. It also gives those looking for their martyrdom ammunition... "I was banned for no reason, look for yourself" etc.

I do like the idea of temporary bans resulting in a different title, so members know the suspended party may be back, but as mentioned above, picking an alternative title isn't exactly easy.
Old March 1st, 2008, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfy
is having the title "Banned" under your name embarrassing? Good.
eeeep Id never come back. I'd be mortified if I was ever banned. So I behave. But I behave anyway, as a rule, we all need Lines That Over We Must Not Cross.

Grammars gross but you get my drift

Quote:
Now the places I could go with this if I didn't have 'mod' under my name.
tut. hmm, i tutted a Mod
Old March 1st, 2008, 12:10 AM
Rampant Rabbit

Quote:
the user/helper with "Rampant Rabbit" under their name or the one with "Banned" under theirs? (Sorry dammit, just picked one randomly
Thanks for that.