Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old November 5th, 2006, 10:37 AM

Booting XP Setup from Secondary Partition - HELP Please!

Hi everyone, I have a current dilemma, and I was really hoping someone with the proper experience and/or expertise could help me out. Here is the situation---

My girlfriend has an HP laptop that is out of warrant by 4 months. A good friend of hers stepped on the CDROM drive's tray and broke the CDROM. I contacted HP to order a new one to replace it, but after finding out that it will cost around $400 for a new CDROM, I scratched that idea. (I have an external I am going to give her to use, she does not take it out much).

The dilemma I am in, is that her computer is in such bad shape, it desperately needs to be reformatted. I've run spyware/adware/malware/antivirus, registry cleaners, defraggers, removed junk software.. etc. but to no avail, it runs terribly slow (it's a Pentium M @ 2.0GHZ, 512MB RAM), and according to her, it runs nothing like it did when she bought it.

I have a copy of WinXP Pro I wanted to install, but the CDROM is broken. So I attempted to use the external CDROM, but the BIOS does not support booting from any USB device (including flash drives).

To bypass this, I used Partition Magic 8 to create a 2GB partition I labeled as drive "M:", and formatted it in FAT32, ripped the WinXP Pro CD to my computer, copied all the files to my flash drive and then copied them to the M: drive on her laptop.

My problem is, now I am stuck. I cannot figure out how to get the XP setup on M: to boot first, so it will run like the installation from the CDROM would. I believe there HAS to be SOME way to do this, and it's really my only option.

Stuck! Can anyone help me out? It would go MUCH appreciated! Thanks.
Old November 5th, 2006, 11:50 AM

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
Is the XP you are planning to put on it a disk that came with the laptop or a legal retail version? If you are using an XP form a different computer than that is an OEM version and is illegal.

You can always buy a new internal drive......some laptop drives are not removable, some are, give me the model of the laptop and I can try and look up if it is or not

CD burner, DVD burner

OR

You can try what it says on this site (note that you must go via the DOS method here, you cannot install XP on the desktop then move the hard drive to the laptop and expect it to work, it won't)

Last edited by gimpy530; November 5th, 2006 at 11:59 AM.
Old November 5th, 2006, 12:55 PM

O/S: Linux
You're local PCsuperstore may take a disk and install it for you. And you could borrow a CD drive from a frined just for the install.
Old November 5th, 2006, 07:01 PM

gimpy530,

It is an HP Pavillion DV4000, and like I said, when I contacted HP they gave me a price of over $400, but some competitors had the same HP part for $280, but that is still way too high. I was hoping for something cheaper than that. The drive in here now is a CDRW actually.

Thanks for anything you find.. I've actually never replaced a laptop drive before. I wish the thing had a floppy, it would come in really handy right now.
Old November 5th, 2006, 10:30 PM

Was there 2 letters after the model? such as "Pavilion dv4000XX"

From what I can tell, you can remove the drive for your laptop......it's only 1 skrew

Look here, page 117(5-13) (note that the link is for an HP Pavilion dv4000XX, it may differ slightly from your laptop)

I don't think you would need to buy a drive from HP, just a laptop drive should work......not 100% sure

Other than replacing the drive the only other way is the DOS way from the link in my other post

Last edited by gimpy530; November 5th, 2006 at 10:37 PM.
Old November 6th, 2006, 03:13 PM

Wow Gimpy! Thanks a ton! I removed the optical drive in about ten minutes, I've never done any work on a laptop before, and it was fairly simplistic!

I got a part number now, not the official HP one (which is all HP would give me). It's a Model No. UJ-840 -- I searched this on ebay (and i will try froogle and such) and I found all kinds of different manufacturers, but below the model # on mine, it says "HW: 1.01 FW: 1.02" -- which does not match up to the drives listed on ebay. I am assuming that may mean "hardware" and "firmware" but, I am not sure. Does this need to match?
Old November 6th, 2006, 10:18 PM

I really don't think you need to buy an HP drive.......just a laptop drive

Look at these links: CD burner, DVD burner
Old January 12th, 2007, 10:35 PM

Hi Rus0,

Tough problem. I think the easiest solution is to go here:

http://www.centrix-intl.com/?Source=...FSRQgAodehM72g

I have a HP ZD800 that the optical drive zonked out on. Like you I called HP and they want a fortune for a new HP drive. Centrix International had the exact same drive for $65.00.

If you remove the hard drive cover, there are 3 screws (actually on the outside of the bottom of the computer that will let you pull the optical drive out. Check out the model Number on your girlfriend's drive and search for it at Centrix. They have really low prices for NEW oem parts.

Good luck,

Steve

p.s.
The hardware & firmware versions do not really make any difference. Windows XP will automatically detect the new drive and install the appropriate drivers for it.

Last edited by scorky2; January 12th, 2007 at 10:38 PM. Reason: forgot something