Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Linux

Notices

Linux Problem solving for all open source distributions of Linux, such as Debian/Ubuntu, Fedora, RedHat, Suse, Mandriva and other proprietary unixes such as Solaris, SGI Irix. Newbie friendly too!

Topic Tools
Old December 18th, 2019, 01:26 AM

Ubuntu Won't Boot

I am trying to boot Ubuntu Linux on a Dell Inspiron 580 Motherboard 0C2KJT with Intel Core i5 650 CPU. I don't have the Dell computer, just the motherboard. I use a bootable CD ROM in a SATA DVD drive, but the computer keeps resetting before completing the boot up. I have run this version of Ubuntu Linux on a Intel P4, and a Dell OptiPlex I7 with no problem.

After multiple attempts to boot, I get the following message:

Modem manager could not get the system bus. Make sure the message bus daemon is running.
Message: Failed to connect to socket/var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: connection refused.
Old April 6th, 2020, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlee58 View Post
I am trying to boot Ubuntu Linux on a Dell Inspiron 580 Motherboard 0C2KJT with Intel Core i5 650 CPU. I don't have the Dell computer, just the motherboard. I use a bootable CD ROM in a SATA DVD drive, but the computer keeps resetting before completing the boot up. I have run this version of Ubuntu Linux on a Intel P4, and a Dell OptiPlex I7 with no problem.

After multiple attempts to boot, I get the following message:

Modem manager could not get the system bus. Make sure the message bus daemon is running.
Message: Failed to connect to socket/var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: connection refused.
I can't address your hardware situation, but I have found that distros are extremely persnickety about where they install. Lots of distros that I tried would hang on install in one computer but not in another, with no rhyme or reason, or install like a dream and then not work at all.

You also don't really want to be doing Ubuntu. Its T&C contains a clause allowing it to recover and pass along to the universe not just Google search terms but internal search terms, ie, if you want to find your client's billing or correspondence, the world knows who your client is and what it is you probably want from the relationship.

Not good.
Old April 7th, 2020, 01:30 AM

I gave up on Ubuntu on that machine, and loaded Windows 10.