Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old December 23rd, 2016, 07:21 PM
CTH Subscriber

Question XP gets stuck (what else is new)

I know, I Know its old but I have so much on it that will not work on later systems.

Many times boot up is OK but then :-

It will boot up and into desktop loading many items in the right hand side bar then it gets stuck showing the hour glass when cursor taken to the taskbar.

Alt-Ctr-Del brings up Task manager selecting shutdown which brings up the box ending a program which only shows a line of boxes as a reference, when complete it still will not react so it becomes a forced power off by the on on/switch and reboot.

To see boxes always makes me think of Chinese messages?

It will always indicate that its wireless link is later than usual to load, my view is that some program tries to use it before another jamming things up. I have reloaded the driver for it with no luck plus run malware and antivirus programs (Malwarebytes + Avast).

Defrag + scandisk also have been run.

If you have any ideas then that would be a help.

David
Old December 25th, 2016, 05:10 AM

nothing specific, but that same thing happened to me just a while ago. I ran msconfig and checked all the things loading at start up. I used this site for things I didn't know ...

http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php

After removing a few ... I guess I shuffled the crap around and may have removed some kind of memory conflict or fight over who wants what, and it's been ok.
Old December 25th, 2016, 05:43 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
you could always do a system restore to a restore point prior to when the problems started.
Old December 27th, 2016, 03:36 PM
CTH Subscriber

Many thanks I will look at that link, for restore point its way beyond that I think, my system is so over worked and underpaid plus top heavy with things its no wonder it suffers, but people still bring me problems from older machines that some of my older software is of use because it has less variable tweaks which modern versions offer that cause issues.

I do run its sfc and other tools to rattle things loose but I think its more down to some driver or "I'm first to use the internet to check for updates" while the antivirus is struggling to check everything in and out or loading. I am using Ashampoo live tuner which has reduced problems to a more random freeze up.

Still it keeps working and I like my old DOS games of Micemen or Blockman from my Win3.11 days.

Thanks again for that link will give it a good read......

Festive Greetings and Happy New Year from David
Old December 31st, 2016, 09:08 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

If you want deltatango, we should surely take a look and see what all is running there. Other than have a good New Years, if you choose to, please do the following:

To make sure you have an accurate view of files there, make sure you can View Hidden Files. Also uncheck "Hide Extensions for Known File Types"

If you know how, it's best to disable your antivirus while doing these steps.

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.
  • Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please copy and paste it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it makes also another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply.

If it seems to be a malware issue, I will ask a Mod to move this to the Malware Removal Forum.