Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old December 31st, 2004, 02:49 AM

Exclamation Xp won't go to login screen

I'm having trouble with windows xp sp1 not going to the login screen....It goes to the windows page with the scrolling bar at the bottom but after that it goes to a black screen...I tried booting in safe mode but the same thing happens...What can I do to fix this problem....
Old December 31st, 2004, 03:31 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
The easiest thing to try first is to boot up using your XP CD. If it ignores the CD, go into the BIOS (also called "Setup") and move the CD drive up to first in the boot order, exit the BIOS saving changes.

Once it boots to the CD, choose the "Repair" option which will get you into the Recovery Console.

In the Recovery Console, type "chkdsk /r" (without the quotes, with the space after "chkdsk"), press Enter.

It can take a while for the scan to complete, so be patient.

Once it's finished, remove the CD, type Exit, press Enter and see if it will boot on into Windows.
Old December 31st, 2004, 07:09 AM

that would work if you could type more than one character in the Recovery Console.. gaaaah i hate it. does anyone know what number to press before you can type ch...

Last edited by crawford; December 31st, 2004 at 07:18 AM.
Old December 31st, 2004, 11:52 AM

I don't have a XP disk...or better yet I'm unable to locate the disk...Is there a site or something I can go to where I can make a boot disk for XP....because I have another computer with internet access and a burner...?