Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old April 22nd, 2001, 09:45 PM

flashing bios

I am about to update the bios but the epox(the makers of my mobo) website say that I should have a dos boot disk ready just incase it is a bad flash. Should the startup disk I made in windows under add/remove programs work fine or do I have to make a different disk? also does anyone know where to find a bios newer than the one on epox's website? I cant OC the fsb if I dont have that bios. my board is an epox 7kxa.

thanks
Old April 23rd, 2001, 12:20 AM
CTH Subscriber

Why are you going to flash?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Otherwise, if everything is working OK, leave it alone. Never flash just to flash. It may just end up hurting more than fixing. But if you have a good reason to, then flash. I've done it several times and all was well. Just follow the instructions closely and make sure you save the original BIOS flash just in case you have to go back. Flashing is not 100% safe.
Old April 23rd, 2001, 07:22 PM

The reason I am flashing is because if I want to OC my fsb without it messing up I need to update the bios. I know a guy who has the same mobo as me and he had to do the same but he doesnt know where he got the bios he has. Anyways the main question I need to know is whether or not the setup disk that you can make in windows is the one I need just in case my system is screwed when I flash the bios?
Old April 23rd, 2001, 07:42 PM
CTH Subscriber

The only way you can restore to the original flash is by saving it when you do the upgrade flash. When doing the flash, it should ask you if you want to backup the original one to a floppy. Windows does not provide a way to return to the original flash.

Give my alittle more info on what you are trying to do. Does the motherboard you are using have FSB jumpers on the motherboard or is it a soft menu type setting? I take it you are trying to overclock by using only the FSB. Right? What kind of CPU is it?

[ 23 April 2001: Message edited by: Junky ]
Old April 23rd, 2001, 10:45 PM

It is an AMD Athlon Slot A. I already flashed the bios and it said everything was fine and to reboot and now it only goes to the screeen that says the cpu and the clock speed and the dram clock and no more. It seems that my keyboard isnt being recognized and therefore I cant go to setup by pressing the del key. What to do now?