Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old February 18th, 2013, 08:36 PM

Failure configuring Service Pack, Reverting changes

On windows 7 home premium I installed the latest window updates and the pc continues to stick on "failure configuring service pack..reverting changes. If I boot into safe mode and uninstall the service pack (KB76932) and then reboot the pc works fine until the next time I restart and the whole process starts over and over again. Using last known good configuration does not work and and the system restore points have disappeared. I sure would appreciate some help. Thanks!
Old February 19th, 2013, 05:33 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Try the fix HERE
Old February 19th, 2013, 07:24 PM

Thanks for the reply, The MSFixit did not work. Is there anything else that I can try?
Can I permanently delete the update so that it doesn't keep coming back every time that I try to log on?
Old February 19th, 2013, 11:05 PM

Download and install the service pack just by itself. Then the rest of the updates should work.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...s.aspx?id=5842

For 32-Bit Windows 7 download: windows6.1-KB976932-X86.exe 537.8MB
For 64-Bit Windows 7 download: windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe 903.2MB

Download, *save*, and install the Service Pack with no security software (antivirus/security suite) installed, disconnect from Internet, disable the fire-wall &close all non-essential process in the task manager.
Old February 20th, 2013, 01:12 AM

ok...I down loaded it but it is still reverting changes to service pack and will not load.
Old February 20th, 2013, 04:47 AM

When you tried to install, did you disconnect from the Internet? Disable any anti-virus?
Old February 21st, 2013, 02:31 AM

Yes,,,I disconnected the internet through the network security feature and disabled the MS firewall I tried it several times but still getting the same thing. All of the other updates loaded except for the service pack (KB76932)
Old February 21st, 2013, 02:46 AM

Ok, there could be a problem with one of the system files.

Run the system file checker;
  1. Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
  2. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
  3. sfc /scannow
  4. The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versionOnme
Once that is done try again.

If not then try the System Update Readiness Tool fixes.

HERE

Download (about 1/2 way down the page) either the Windows 7 x86 (32bit) or the X64 (64bit) version depending on which one you have.

If you do not know which version you have then:
Right click on "My Computer" then to "Properties" 1/2 way down will tell you.
Old February 26th, 2013, 07:22 PM

Hi Murf..thanks so much for your help. The update is that the hard drive has failed and is now in the pc shop for repairs. I couldn't get into windows at all or any system repairs...just kept going to F1 and the SMART failure message. I just wanted to update you so you can close this thread. I really appreciated the time you took to help me....a great forum!
Old February 27th, 2013, 01:01 AM

Thanks for letting us know.
Old May 31st, 2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Thanks for letting us know.
I just wanted to let you know that I've been having this issue for months. I even believe I followed all the steps in this thread a couple months earlier with no success.

I don't know if something changed or I missed something in the instructions, but this morning after getting daily auto attempts to do the SP update, I googled again and re-found this thread.

I jumped to the command prompt (sfc /scannow)check of major windows components and there were no issues. So I re-ran from thread post 4 to install the 64bit SP by itself, insuring the firewall was turned off.

It took quite a while and the status bar seemed to hang forever half way through. Then, all of a sudden, it said the install was finished. I anticipated another failure on re-boot but was elated when it finally worked.

I don't know if it was operator error in the past (me) or if MS has made changes that corrected previous problems, but aftyer all this time, I'm just thankful to not have to worry about it anymore.

For anyone else having similar issues, I suggest re-trying.
Old July 7th, 2013, 10:00 AM

The problem is partly due to microsoft's attitude ie You Will Put Windows On The First Hard Disk If You Want Things To Work. If there is anything like a usb stick or card in the machine that can in any way confuse the boot process it will.
My problem is that windows is on the second hard disk of my desktop(s) and I had error 800F0A12 ( wouldn't install ) later followed by the Failure Configuring Service Pack, Reverting changes error messages.
In each case I used the boot menu in the bios to boot directly to the disk that windows was on ( and for the reboot in the middle of installation ) giving windows the impression it was the first and only operating system on my machine. Worked fine.