Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Linux

Notices

Linux Problem solving for all open source distributions of Linux, such as Debian/Ubuntu, Fedora, RedHat, Suse, Mandriva and other proprietary unixes such as Solaris, SGI Irix. Newbie friendly too!

Topic Tools
Old August 27th, 2012, 10:58 PM

O/S: Linux
Mint 12 HDMI no sound going through HDmi cable

So I have a Gigabyte with a LGA775 2.33GHZ 4MB L2 cache 1333 FSB
1gig Ge force graphics card with a HDMI socket hooked to a Hyundai 23inch TV/monitor but no sound comes thru the HDMI cable.

My friends Win7 laptop hooks up to the TV and the sound works thru the HDMI but nothing on Mint 12 only video

any clues would be appreciated
Old September 2nd, 2012, 12:07 PM

So what else can go wrong?
The plastic thingees broke on the heat sink so i put an HP heatsink on and cut a hole in the case behind the CPU.
I installed XP pro SP2 on a IDE HDD to update the BIOS as it would only see one 2 gig stick of RAM.
So now it has 2x2 gigs of RAM and it sees both sticks

I will try the HDMI again soon

I have a 2.5 gig quad core CPU to try and wake the HDMI up
Old September 2nd, 2012, 07:05 PM

somewhere in there my 600w PSU gave up the ghost so IM down to a 430w PSU
I downloaded the BIOS update on my 4000+ AMD Gigabyte running Mint12 and tranfered the files by USB to the other PC
Old September 8th, 2012, 10:45 AM

there is an intention to buy Win7 when my credit card looks better
Old September 12th, 2012, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craisin View Post
there is an intention to buy Win7 when my credit card looks better
Wow!!!!!!
Are you the same one who said that Windows is not allowed in your house?
Old September 12th, 2012, 11:38 PM

I still dual-boot. Only because I can't find a decent linux CAD program and I have not bought an HP printer and my current Lexmark printer can only wireless-network-print through Win7.

I keep trying Mint and going back to Xubuntu.

Mint-Mate seems to be just a bigger version of Xubuntu, and when I tell it to 'shut-down' it gets as far as a black screen with the message "system 15 shutting down" and freezing.

Mint-Cinnamon does not seem to have a 'shut-down' comand. I can only tell it to 'suspend' then push and hold down the laptop on-off switch until it over-rides Mint and turns itself off.
Old September 17th, 2012, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sladden View Post
Wow!!!!!!
Are you the same one who said that Windows is not allowed in your house?
No
You were told by another member that Windows were for looking out of in his house.
Old September 17th, 2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
I still dual-boot. Only because I can't find a decent linux CAD program and I have not bought an HP printer and my current Lexmark printer can only wireless-network-print through Win7.

I keep trying Mint and going back to Xubuntu.

Mint-Mate seems to be just a bigger version of Xubuntu, and when I tell it to 'shut-down' it gets as far as a black screen with the message "system 15 shutting down" and freezing.

Mint-Cinnamon does not seem to have a 'shut-down' comand. I can only tell it to 'suspend' then push and hold down the laptop on-off switch until it over-rides Mint and turns itself off.
Didnt you tell us all that Mint 13 was stable?

I dual boot Ubuntu and XP using the Boot Menu instead of the grub
Old September 18th, 2012, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Didnt you tell us all that Mint 13 was stable?

I dual boot Ubuntu and XP using the Boot Menu instead of the grub
Yes and no. Mate was stable but not Cinnamon. Then it came good and I preferred Cinnamon (It is clean and runs faster).
They start off OK but seem to go off after updating. It may also be me causing it by all the install/uninstall of drinter software.

I am currently dual booting win7 with xubuntu 12.04. It has now begun to take 5-10 minutes to shut down.
I have never tried the Boot Menu way. I will gie it a try.
Old September 19th, 2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Yes and no. Mate was stable but not Cinnamon. Then it came good and I preferred Cinnamon (It is clean and runs faster).
They start off OK but seem to go off after updating. It may also be me causing it by all the install/uninstall of drinter software.

I am currently dual booting win7 with xubuntu 12.04. It has now begun to take 5-10 minutes to shut down.
I have never tried the Boot Menu way. I will gie it a try.
Another way to dual boot is to take out your Win drive and put it aside while you install another drive as master and install your chosen type of linux.
when thats finished put your Win drive back as master and install your linux drive as slave.
Download SYSRCD2.5.1 its a rescue disk and if you boot from it has the option to boot from the first or second hdd
If you boot the system without the rescue disk it will boot into Win

On my system set up like that I have a Data drive formated in NTFS that can be accessed by Win and linux
Old September 24th, 2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Another way to dual boot is to take out your Win drive and put it aside while you install another drive as master and install your chosen type of linux.
when thats finished put your Win drive back as master and install your linux drive as slave.
Download SYSRCD2.5.1 its a rescue disk and if you boot from it has the option to boot from the first or second hdd
If you boot the system without the rescue disk it will boot into Win

On my system set up like that I have a Data drive formated in NTFS that can be accessed by Win and linux
Booting from a rescue disk sounds cumbersom. I may as well just go back to a tower with internal-storage-HD and removable prime-HD's and switch between windows and linux HD's.

For now I have put my tower-computer into storage and use dell-laptop as my desktop (I have felt foolish ever since I bought dell, but having paid for it, I use it).

But, one of the things I like about linux, it doesn't need a data drive/partion for dual-boot. It can access windows file folders.
That way, I dual-boot linux with only '50gb partition'. The work-files-in-linux-partition and stored files on the seldom used windows partition.
Old September 24th, 2012, 05:28 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Booting from a rescue disk sounds cumbersom. I may as well just go back to a tower with internal-storage-HD and removable prime-HD's and switch between windows and linux HD's.
Booting from a rescue disk is more cumbersome than switching hard drives in a tower?
Old September 25th, 2012, 01:12 AM

Dual booting with a rescue disk is great and has benefits that some people cant comprehend
The XP Ubuntu dual boot with the aid of a rescue disk has been up and running for at least 6 months
I made it to watch Digital TV on on the XP side
Old September 26th, 2012, 07:56 AM

Obviously, I am one of the "some people".
Dual booting from a rescue disk uses up the CD drive.
Switching hard drives in a tower involves. Pulling out a drawer and pushing in a drawer, before turning on the tower.
Of course. The other way, is to set the computer to boot from usb-1st and hd-2nd. Then either plug in or unplug the usb-install before turning on the laptop.
So far, I am finding my old 'vista-movie studio' and 'vista-movie edit pro 12' software producing better home movies than 'linux-DeVeDe'.
It's a shame, but it means that along with DesignCAD and Skype. I must still run windows.
On skype. I must use video. From ubuntu I only get release 2+.
From Skype I get release 4+. But the linux 4+ release is a bit like the XP-Skype when it comes to video-quality and video-audio-comptability.
One day. Skype, DeVeDe and Wine will catch up, then goodbye Microsoft.
Old September 30th, 2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Obviously, I am one of the "some people".
Dual booting from a rescue disk uses up the CD drive.
Switching hard drives in a tower involves. Pulling out a drawer and pushing in a drawer, before turning on the tower.
Of course. The other way, is to set the computer to boot from usb-1st and hd-2nd. Then either plug in or unplug the usb-install before turning on the laptop.
So far, I am finding my old 'vista-movie studio' and 'vista-movie edit pro 12' software producing better home movies than 'linux-DeVeDe'.
It's a shame, but it means that along with DesignCAD and Skype. I must still run windows.
On skype. I must use video. From ubuntu I only get release 2+.
From Skype I get release 4+. But the linux 4+ release is a bit like the XP-Skype when it comes to video-quality and video-audio-comptability.
One day. Skype, DeVeDe and Wine will catch up, then goodbye Microsoft.
The CD drive is available after boot. and i have access to my XP drive cause its still connected.
I can take the CD out before boot has completed.
Booting from USB can have realiability issues