Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 10

Notices

Windows 10 Problem solving for the Windows 10 Operating System.

Topic Tools
Old November 24th, 2019, 02:58 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Can't set HDD as priority boot mode

Hi
I've recently windows-repaired my Dell Latitude laptop and run the Dell Update program and she's running better than she has in years. One small annoyance--during the process, the Boot priorities some how became rearranged and now every time I boot the PC I get 'start PXE over IPV6' followed by ' start PXE over IPV4.' I can Esc from both of these and the PC boots to hard drive (as I would wish).'

I've tried everything I can think of: accessed BIOS through F2 during start, disabled security boot, selected legacy options and moved hard drive option to the top of the resulting list. Still the PC insists on booting through IPV6 & 4. Obviously I'm missing something here, but I'm out of ideas. Can anyone help?

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
Processor: AMD FX-9800P RADEON R7, 12 COMPUTE CORES 4C+8G, AMD64 Family 21 Model 101 Stepping 1
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 15830 Mb
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon(TM) R7 Graphics, 512 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 1846 GB (1209 GB Free); E: 0 GB (0 GB Free); H: 931 GB (288 GB Free);
Motherboard: Dell Inc., 09PHHV
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated
Old November 25th, 2019, 04:11 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
It's trying to boot from the network. Find your LAN settings. Each system is different, but I believe with a Dell look under Power Management, usually on a DEL hitting F2 or F12 as the system starts up gets you into BIOS, which you indicated you have been in.

If you are using the integrated NIC (Lan Card) b y default it is enable w/PXE

Without knowing the model of your dell this may help:

https://www.dell.com/support/article...aptops?lang=en

Bottom line make sure that it is not set to:

Enable Boot to Network
Old November 25th, 2019, 06:12 PM

Thanks, Murph

When I tried to locate Power Management everything tumbled. I now can't boot the PC (no bootable media found) and one tried just about everything I can think of. Ran the diagnostics and it's not my hard drive, but I can't get anything going now and I'm out of ideas.

Trying to get into safe mode, but that doesn't work either. Any ideas?

Smokey
Old November 25th, 2019, 09:36 PM

Can you get into BIOS SETUP maybe F10 or F12 at Boot, if you can find where you can set it to Defaults then save and exit.

Windows 10 Safe mode is difficult to get into.

If Windows 10 fails to boot normally three times over, the fourth time it enters by default in an Automatic Repair mode. Using this mode, you can boot into Safe Mode. To trigger the Automatic Repair mode, you must interrupt the normal boot process three consecutive times: use the Reset or the Power button on your Windows 10 PC to stop it during boot, before it finishes loading Windows 10. If you use the Power button, you might have to keep it pressed for at least 4 seconds to force the power off. When Windows 10 enters the Automatic Repair mode, the first thing you see is a screen that tells you that the operating system is "Preparing Automatic Repair."
Old November 26th, 2019, 01:29 AM

Hi Murf

No joy, I'm afraid. I managed to reset Setup defaults on the bottom of the Bios page, but I've tried the triple interruption routine a half dozen times and nothing happens.

Not sure where to go from here. I hoped to reset the system with an ISO disk I made the other day, but the computer tells me it doesn't see the file (it's in the CD/DVD player, but there's no way to navigate to it.

?????

Cheers

Smokey
Old November 27th, 2019, 04:34 AM

If you have access to another system with Windows 10 make a rescue USB to boot from:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...recovery-drive
Old November 28th, 2019, 06:09 PM

Can't set HDD as priority boot mode

Hi Murf

I tried that as well with a rescue USB from my old (Windows 10) computer. Nothing doing--obviously incompatible.

Sooooooo...I surrendered and called my local guru--two minutes of fiddling in the bios and $25 later I'm back in business. I'm not sure what he did, but the first thing I did was create a rescue drive on this computer!

Thanks for your good advice just the same!
Old December 1st, 2019, 02:57 AM

Well at least you got it running. Thx for letting us know.