Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 10

Notices

Windows 10 Problem solving for the Windows 10 Operating System.

Topic Tools
Old January 20th, 2018, 06:39 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
Swopping hard drive - asking for activation key?

Hi all.

My daughter has spilt lemonade on her laptop and fried the motherboard. I have my old laptop that needs a new hard drive so i proceeded to install the hard drive, and a bit of extra RAM into the old laptop. Booted up fine and found and installed drivers etc. I then went to do a bit of tweaking to the settings but it won't let me, stating that I have to activate Windows with the activation key. Windows was pre installed on both machines with no separate media.
Does anyone have any idea what to do next or is it a case of having to buy windows?
Old January 21st, 2018, 12:14 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
you cannot legally transfer an oem operating system from one computer to another when you move the harddrive. you can check with the laptop manufacturer and see if they have the original software available for it.