Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Applications

Notices

Applications Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of computer software applications

Topic Tools
Old March 4th, 2005, 02:32 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Outlook/Firefox/Gmail interface

I'm running Outlook 2002, Mozilla Firefox and have just started dabbling with the GMail beta. I've set up the Email account and when I test the functions in setup, it shows a failure in sending the test Email. I also get an error message which tells me the ISP doesn't recognize my username or password. The kicker is, I am able to send "real" GMails apparently without a problem. The only problem is the (serious) annoyance of getting that error message periodically. Can anyone suggest a fix??
Old March 5th, 2005, 01:23 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
please give the exact wording of the error messages that you get when sending the actual emails - not the test. I found the email test during setup can be unreliable
Old March 9th, 2005, 12:58 AM

Hi Renegade

Sorry for the delay. I've gotten two messages-- the first one was:

Log onto incoming mail server (POP3): the POP3 e-mail account you created does not support Secure Password authentication (SPA). In the internet E-mail setting (POP3) wizard dialogues box, clear the “Log on using Secure Password Authentication(SPA) check box.

I did that (for about the fifth time--and despite the fact that gmail setup directs me to tick that box) and the Outlook E-mail accounts wizard smiled upon me first time EVER with green ticks in all the categories when I checked the settings . Encouraged, I made Gmail my default account and sent a test message. It was successful, but I still got an error message on the bottom right bar which stated:

Task ‘pop.gmail.com-Sending and Receiving reported error (0X800CCC18): ‘Your e-mail server rejected your login with secure password authentication. Verify your account properties. Under tools, click E-mail accounts.

I've also received a popup message when I send a gmail saying something like "Outlook has detected a program trying to gain access to Outlook. Do you want to allow this? Haven't received this one tonight, but suspect it has something to do with Gmail as it's only come up since I've been trying to link gmail with outlook.
Old March 9th, 2005, 01:10 PM
CTH Subscriber

What is your mail setting (receive) for gmail in outlook?
What is your smtp setting (send) for gmail in outlook?
Old March 9th, 2005, 02:13 PM

Receive is pop.gmail.com
Smtp is smtp.gmail.com
Old March 9th, 2005, 10:39 PM
CTH Subscriber

You may need to change the smtp to whatever your isp requires. For example, I can receive gmail without any problems using the same as you do, but send I have to use my isp's smtp.
Old March 10th, 2005, 02:27 PM

Thanks, Renegade, I'll give that a try--would the ISP normally accept username/password as required for Gmail?
Old March 10th, 2005, 09:14 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey
Thanks, Renegade, I'll give that a try--would the ISP normally accept username/password as required for Gmail?
you will use the name and password of the isp.
Old March 10th, 2005, 09:42 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 11
There is a setting most people don't read the instructions at Google about POP3 settings.

My server requires authentication must be checked off in the Outlook Gmail account. Your username needs
to be your user name with the gmail.com added, so...

{your.gmail.name}@gmail.com

You also have to go over to the Advanced(tab) in the Outlook account and set
Outgoing mail {SMTP}: to 465
and
Incoming mail {POP3}: to 995